This one sounds like a real nasty barsteward!!

Started by MoHux, Jul 17, 2007, 13:14:39

Previous topic - Next topic

MoHux

"It's better to say nothing and be thought an idiot - than to open your mouth and remove all doubt."

Rik

There are some really nice people around, aren't there Mo. :(
Rik
--------------------

This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

Lance

Lance
_____

Inactive

Agreed Mo " nasty barstewards "

Wouldn't wish them any harm of course, I just hope the next bus they catch will be on top of them..
Anything and everything that I post on here is purely my opinion, it ain't going to change the world, you are under no obligation to agree with me, it is purely my expressed opinion.

Rik

Rik
--------------------

MoHux

Quote from: Inactive on Jul 17, 2007, 13:55:08
Agreed Mo " nasty barstewards "

Wouldn't wish them any harm of course, I just hope the next bus they catch will be on top of them..

Talking of catching buses .............

Did you know that condoms aren't safe??

A friend of mine was wearing one and got run over by a bus!

:hide:
"It's better to say nothing and be thought an idiot - than to open your mouth and remove all doubt."

Rik

Rik
--------------------

RobMc

I wonder if I could ask a favour? Just generally that is...

When posting a url as the only content of a post, can we be given some indication of what it's about? This will help to decide whether it's something of interest to the viewer. The security-obsessive voice in my head won't let me click on a link not knowing what it's about. 

Rob.

DorsetBoy

It is about security Rob.

From the page......... RE: Files for ransom
Submitted by dkathrens77 on Tue, 07/10/2007 - 8:18pm

I am here to tell you I am a victim of ransomware.
While I was logged into Second Life last night, all my data files were RSA-4096 encrypted and a ransom note left on my desktop.

A file titled "read_me.txt" was left on my desktop.

RobMc

Cheers that sounds interesting, I'll go and have a look,

Rob.

Edit. hmmm perhaps I should be reluctant to click on links when you hear of such exploits. I may be slightly paranoid about security. This is why I don't use internet explorer as my browser and won't accept AxtiveX components from websites. It does make you wonder just what goes on when logged into such things as MU Games, filesharing, skype etc etc.

Just a bit more paranoid each day.

MoHux

I am sorry I didn't make clear what it was Rob.   :-[

But ...... I considered that precautions which exist both at my end, and yours, to say nothing of IDNet in between, would be enough to prevent it being linked to should it not be cosha (sp?).

:)

RobMc

Ahh no problem. I just like to try and be safe online by default, it's when you let your guard down for a moment that nasty things can happen. I'm sure no one here would post anything dubious, but being suspicious by default is good for the rest of the net. I'm fairly happy to follow links here, but would like to know what it's about first. Yes, I'm interested in security issues, no I'm not interested in the latest Big Brother gossip. lol.

Rob.

Lance

Quote from: RobMc on Jul 18, 2007, 17:46:47
no I'm not interested in the latest Big Brother gossip. lol.

Rob.

I imagine most of us here share that, Rob! lol
Lance
_____

john

Whilst security on the net is a recognized problem, I think as long as you take the usual precautions such as installing a virus checker, firewall etc then you should be fairly safe. If you get to the stage where your paranoid about following every link then the perpertrators of all the nasty stuff have won. I have no qualms about the links posted on Idnetters.

The other additional advice I'd give is don't log in as an administrator unless you really need to and also make regular backups of your data. If logged in as an administrator only download from a source that you are sure can be trusted.

Despite taking all precautions if the worst comes to the worst you should be in a position to be able to wipe your hard drive and then re-load the OS, applications and data. A real pain I know but not as much of a pain as losing it all.

My laptop came intalled with a trial version of McAfee pre-installed which has now expired so I've downloaded Avast anti-virus on the recommendation of one of the guys at work is is responsible for their machines security. Does anyone else have any comments on Avast or other Anti Virus software ?

Rik

I'm a NOD32 fan, despite the review in PC Pro. :)
Rik
--------------------

Inactive

AVG here, I did try Avast at one stage, it didn't appear as user friendly as AVG, but it worked fine. ;)
Anything and everything that I post on here is purely my opinion, it ain't going to change the world, you are under no obligation to agree with me, it is purely my expressed opinion.

RobMc

I know Microsoft Vista isn't the most favourite topic here, but the User Access Control provides a good level of extra security. I'd prefer it to prompt for a password similar to linux but I suppose that would be one step to far for most Windows users.

Rob.