Email

Started by andrew_w, Feb 08, 2014, 08:49:20

Previous topic - Next topic

andrew_w

I kept getting this last night and again this morning. What does it mean please? Destination email address irrelevant. Running XP and OE6

Error occurs on both my wife's and my PC.

The message could not be sent because one of the recipients was rejected by the server. The rejected e-mail address was '****@idnet.com'. Subject 'email test', Account: '#####', Server: 'smtp.idnet.com', Protocol: SMTP, Server Response: '450 4.7.1 <****@idnet.com>: Recipient address rejected: Policy Rejection- Quota Exceeded [EMAIL Address] - you have exceeded your quota for this hour.', Port: 25, Secure(SSL): No, Server Error: 450, Error Number: 0x800CCC79
Andrew

Technical Ben

Thanks for the info Andrew. That looks like a message saying that two many emails have been sent in a short time. The server usually does not allow lots, like more than 100 or so, to be sent at one time or in one hour. This is to prevent spam or other misuse. But you should be fine for all other email.

Do you send many emails? Such as circulars or "reply to all"?

If your not sending multiple emails, I'd consider checking that no other program is in the background. It may be a virus.

I don't think the web client (the version we can use in a web browser) will tell us how many emails are sent from another PC though. So I'm not sure how to check if any other software is sending emails.
I use to have a signature, then it all changed to chip and pin.

andrew_w

Thanks Ben but it seems to have gone away! No, I do not send many emails at all but will check for a virus.

If I was sending out junk I would have thought IDNet would have said something   :whistle:
Andrew

Simon

They wouldn't necessarily know, unless it's such a high volume that it sets off alarm bells on the server.
Simon.
--
This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

andrew_w

OK Simon, all's well still here. No virii found  :)
Andrew

ChrisB

I was receiving the same message intermittently on Friday evening and Saturday morning.

To the best of my knowledge I am free from virus and malware, Malawarebytes and AVG report no issues. I'm assuming that it was a problem with Idnet's systems or something external.

Chris

Gary

My Mac did the same, seems fixed for now....
Damned, if you do damned if you don't

ChrisB

After not seeing this problem for a couple of weeks, when attempting to send my first email this hour, it has bounced back with:

Recipient address rejected: Policy Rejection- Quota Exceeded [EMAIL Address] - you have exceeded your quota for this hour.

Can anyone advise if this is an Idnet problem or something wrong elsewhere?

Thanks,

Chris

andrew_w

Just about to report that exact same issue, again!!   ???

Can anybody fix it, permanently?
Andrew

B52

Same here.  Tried several times in past hour to send 2-3 emails and always bounced back Its not excessive use. I send and receive about 15 emails a day.

rbd

...and same for me. Anyone looking at the problem?

Andy

andrew_w

Just managed to communicate the matter to support. Await outcome.
Andrew

Steve

I think you've got to speak to support, we here have no control over it and indeed have never been specifically informed of any smtp quotas. Saying that it would appear from your post that there is a more general issue with the smtp server not confined to a single users quota.
Steve
------------

Gary

I'm getting email rejected by the server on my ipad, a week ago i had the quota message but I was only trying to send one email in a 24hr period. It righted itself though.

andrew_w

This anything to do with it from IDNet website?

Network Status
Announcement    2014-02-20 10:37 -
2014-02-20 15:24    Good Service    Status: OK
BT have informed us that the issue should now be resolved and for any users who are still offline to reboot their equipment.
Announcement    2014-02-20 10:03 -
2014-02-20 14:11    No Service    Status: Down
BT Wholesale has reported a nationwide network outage affecting multiple customers.

More information will be put forward as we receive it.
Andrew

andrew_w

According to Support, "a temporary issue with the server yesterday evening"
Andrew

Terryphi

Currently (Sunday 10am) incoming and outgoing emails are failing to arrive.  There are no error messages. Is there a problem with the email server?

Gary

Quote from: Terryphi on Feb 23, 2014, 10:12:45
Currently (Sunday 10am) incoming and outgoing emails are failing to arrive.  There are no error messages. Is there a problem with the email server?
All working fine here at 10:32am

Glenn

I have received emails since 10am, not tried sending any though.
Glenn
--------------------

Baz

Dakota2

Seems there might be a problem for me too.

regards

Dakota

Simon

I've just sent an email from one of my IDNet accounts, to another, and all seems OK here.
Simon.
--

Terryphi

My emails eventually arrived. Perhaps there was a large queue on the mail server.

LATER: Testing again I find that new mail is still delayed.

Dakota2

Further to my earlier post email appears to be running S-L-O-W-L-Y. I wonder if an Idnet user's system has been targeted as an unauthorised mail relay?

Terryphi

Still waiting for delivery of mail 2 hours after it was sent. This is traffic in and out.

Glad I have my own domain elsewhere for mail!