So, being connected to the Exchange and FTTC?

Started by Technical Ben, May 09, 2014, 23:17:42

Previous topic - Next topic

Technical Ben

AFAIK, or at a guess, I'm connected to the exchange. Does that mean there is no chance of an upgrade? :(

I think the rest of the town already has the capability of FTTC, seeing as all the boxes are in. A quick phone number check says I cannot get FTTC... so I'm guessing I don't have a cabinet.  :'(

FTTC is a luxury, and not a need. But it would have been nice to run a server of some type from home. Or just had quicker uploads to Youtube.

PS, seems to be entirely because of some obnoxious (I'll use the word because that's how I feel) reasons that they feel they cannot install anything in the Exchange. :(
I use to have a signature, then it all changed to chip and pin.

Glenn

Ben, you may be able to get FTTH(P). My brother is connected to the exchange, but this year got Fibre to the home. He has gone for a 80 Mbps connection, but could have had 330 Mbps if he could justify the cost, circa £130/month.
Glenn
--------------------

This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

Steve

I know OFCOM is said not to permit vdsl equipment in the exchange , whether that's due to the interference it may cause with other equipment I've no idea. However there seems to have been incidences where a new cabinet has been installed near to the exchange to solve this issue.
Steve
------------
This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

Technical Ben

I'm not holding out hope for that being done. :(

PS, learnt that the fear of interference is why they don't do the install in the exchange, so have to as you said put it out side the building. That can be a lot more work, and they don't often like the extra cost...
I use to have a signature, then it all changed to chip and pin.