Unable to connect to my TV

Started by Broadback, Jun 04, 2014, 08:56:30

Previous topic - Next topic

Broadback

I have home-plug adapters connected to both my PC and TV, however it is not recognised. I know it is something stupid I am not doing but cannot fathom it out. I simply would like to use BBC and ITV iplayers. I realise this is all very vague, any ideas as to how I may proceed?
Nothing is perfect, not even my ignorance!

Lance

One home plug should be connected to the tv, the other to the router. Is that how you've got it?
Lance
_____

This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

Gary

Quote from: Broadback on Jun 04, 2014, 08:56:30
I have home-plug adapters connected to both my PC and TV, however it is not recognised. I know it is something stupid I am not doing but cannot fathom it out. I simply would like to use BBC and ITV iplayers. I realise this is all very vague, any ideas as to how I may proceed?
You cant transfer iPlayer etc from a PC to a TV, your TV needs to have it built in then you connect the Ethernet from your TV to the router via a homeplug you dont need it hooked up to your PC, or use wifi if your TV supports that. You can share other media to your TV is it uses DLNA.
Damned, if you do damned if you don't

Broadback

I have one home plug connected to my TV and one to my Netgear router. However when I attempt to connect to the iplayer I get the message:
No Internet connection detected. Please check that your settings and connections are correct. (50040)

What settings and how do I check them please?

Steve

The TV in it's setup menu system will have a method to detect and and then hopefully establish an internet connection. Usually this can be achieved by selecting automatic rather than a manual setup.
Steve
------------

Glenn

What is the make and model of the TV?
Glenn
--------------------

Broadback

If all else fails read the manual! I was taught that 60 years ago as an RAF Apprentice trainee, and I forgot. I find I can get it to work by disconnecting the home plugs and connecting by WiFi, so it looks like I can throw out the home plugs! Now I need to fing a way of connecting using my Foxsat-HDR. Thanks for the help.

Steve

I would hang on to the home plugs just in case they give you get better performance
Steve
------------

Broadback

I would, but I have been unable to get them to work!

Steve

You will probably need to disable the WiFi somewhere in the TV menu system to allow an ethernet connection.
Steve
------------

Gary

Quote from: Steve on Jun 04, 2014, 11:22:41
You will probably need to disable the WiFi somewhere in the TV menu system to allow an ethernet connection.
That should be automatic on most TV's it will auto detect ethernet and not use wifi unless its plugged in, well thats how mine does it but it may vary I suppose.
Damned, if you do damned if you don't

Broadback

Indeed, Iwas instructed to disconnect the cable before I could access the WiFi.

Steve

I supposed like most things it's good to use something that's known to work, if a known networked device ie laptop will not work in the same location as the TV Home-plugs then the fault is not the TV or vice versa.
Steve
------------

Technical Ben

Quote from: Steve on Jun 04, 2014, 11:22:41
It may be the electric is on 2 rings or something? Also, even for the wired network, sometimes you need to go into settings to set an IP (automatically) for the TV or to accept T&Cs.
I use to have a signature, then it all changed to chip and pin.

Broadback

Thanks Glen, that got me thinking. I had, some time ago, put one of my home plugs into a protector extension, I removed it and plugs straight into a mains socket. Geronimo! It works fine.

Steve

Whilst on the subject of connecting multiple remote devices , I use this for my TV , BluRay, Skybox and PS3

http://www.buffalotech.com/products/wireless/client-adapters/airstation-n300-4-port-dual-band-wireless-ethernet-bridge
Steve
------------