BT Home Hub 4

Started by Simon, Sep 02, 2014, 19:56:22

Previous topic - Next topic

Simon

Too late, sorry Den.  :)
Simon.
--
This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

Steve

I personally wouldn't sell the modem it cuts down the options, there are some good routers available which need it to connect to FTTC.
Steve
------------
This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

Gary

Quote from: Steve on Sep 03, 2014, 19:46:26
I personally wouldn't sell the modem it cuts down the options, there are some good routers available which need it to connect to FTTC.
I agree, I prefer two box setups myself, the modem works well and leaves you to swap and make changes to your router without your FTTC line being disturbed possibly causing DLM to interfere, also as Steve said there are some great routers out there that hook up to the modem.
Damned, if you do damned if you don't

Den

I'm not having any problems with Homehub 5 (yet) so don't see the point of changing a router.  :dunno:
Mr Music Man.

Gary

Quote from: Den on Sep 04, 2014, 19:28:13
I'm not having any problems with Homehub 5 (yet) so don't see the point of changing a router.  :dunno:
If you have a all in one set up Den, if you upgrade firmware or need to make static IP addresses using say address reservation (home hub cant do this I don't think) the router may reboot, if that happens you will have the FTTC re sync if the router goes wrong it can keep rebooting as some HH5's did ruining peoples lines with major DLM interaction. With a two box setup that wont happen, as the modem is separate and stays in sync with the cab even when the router disconnects. The HH5 is an ok router, wifi could be stronger as it is weak and it does choke a bit when lots of data flows though it (not my words HH5 users who push their routers hard)  and having BT control firmware upgrades in the backgorund would not make me happy as not every firmware upgrade is a good one. Also I don't think you can change DNS or have a guest network on the HH5, I may be wrong about DNS but no guests network would mean I couldn't use it as I run multiple networks from one router, but if it floats your boat that's all that matters. :)

With a separate modem if you need to replace your router (they do go wrong Den) you can disconnect from the modem, stay in sync with the cab still, not worry about DLM seeing to many disconnections as a fault on the line and add your new route. Also most routers without modems tend to be more advanced, faster and have a better feature set not all, there are some great all in ones for ADSL but like Hi-Fi  separates give more options and better features, and when you put everything in the same box things don't always work out well as there is always a compromise.

Den

I thought I had a problem the other week and BT sent me a new HH5 but the problem was a update on Glary Utilities (got rid) and not the hub. BT have not chased me for the older HH5 (yet) so I have a spare. There is a guest network which works great when my Grandson comes over. I agree with you about Hi-Fi separates though as that is the way I have always gone but these days things are moving so fast with streaming etc' so our opinion may change in time.

At this moment in time Homehub 5 works for me and as I use Devolo Powerline I have the best of both worlds and as I said before I do not have an issue even though I live in a large house.  :)
Mr Music Man.

Gary

Powerlines can effect FTTC "Homeplugs (or any other powerline networking) uses similar frequencies to the VDSL that is connecting the cabinet to the modem. In bad cases this can reduce your VDSL rate" Just so you know. If it works for you, fine but separates are always better than one unit no matter what in my eyes and always will be.  :)