Weird WiFi problem

Started by Simon, Dec 06, 2014, 10:26:18

Previous topic - Next topic

Simon

A friend, who is with IDNet, has a strange problem with his WiFi.  It seems to slow "to a crawl" nearly every night at 11:05pm.  Weirdly, this only seems to happen on his iPhone, so I don't think its an IDNet issue.  Sometimes his connection reverts to normal after a couple of minutes, but sometimes can take half an hour or more.  The connection is fine at all other times during the day, and (as far as I am aware at this time) on all other WiFi devices.

I have checked his router logs, on a DG834G, and it is showing no disconnections.  He has also moved the router, and moved the affected device closer to the router when this happens, but this has had no effect. 

I'm at a loss as to what else to suggest, so any ideas would be welcomed. 
Simon.
--
This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

Tacitus

Do you have a WiFi scanner which will show all available networks and what channel they're transmitting on?  I'm wondering if something comes on around that time which is on the same channel and so you're getting interference.

Gary

Reset network connections and try adding the wifi again. Using the 2.4Ghz connection you tend to get more interference as its so crowded and it does sound like thats whats happening, iy could be a RFI burst from central heating someone's Microwave, loads of things really. Having a more up to date router and if possible using the 5Ghz spectrum would be preferable if his iPhone supports it as its a lot less crowded and carries more bandwidth.
Damned, if you do damned if you don't

Simon

Tac, no he doesn't.  Perhaps changing the WiFi channel might be an idea anyway?   

Gary, I'll suggest the network reset, but it seems odd that it only happens at a certain time.  I have a spare router, which we are planning to try tomorrow, but it's an old Billion 7700N, which I don't think supports 5Ghz.  His phone is an iPhone 5, so I'm not even sure if that supports 5Ghz anyway.  He has just upgraded it to iOS 8.whatever it is now, but the problem was evident before and after the upgrade. 
Simon.
--

Gary

Quote from: Simon on Dec 06, 2014, 12:14:02
Tac, no he doesn't.  Perhaps changing the WiFi channel might be an idea anyway?   

Gary, I'll suggest the network reset, but it seems odd that it only happens at a certain time.  I have a spare router, which we are planning to try tomorrow, but it's an old Billion 7700N, which I don't think supports 5Ghz.  His phone is an iPhone 5, so I'm not even sure if that supports 5Ghz anyway.  He has just upgraded it to iOS 8.whatever it is now, but the problem was evident before and after the upgrade. 
iPhone 5 supports 5Ghz so that would be a better way to go. :)  Since you have an Android phone download WiFi analyzer by Farproc that would help in selecting channels and seeing signal strength, great app. https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.farproc.wifi.analyzer&hl=en
Damned, if you do damned if you don't

Simon

Thanks Gary.  Though, if it was that, wouldn't it affect all their WiFi devices?  There are also two Nokia Windows phones, a laptop and an iPod Touch which all seem to be unaffected.   
Simon.
--

Glenn

I can't see how it can be the router, as you say all other wifi devices are OK. I would be looking squarely at the iphone as the cause of the issue, a factory reset possibly?
Glenn
--------------------

Simon

It does seem to be pointing towards the iPhone, Glenn, but it's just had the software upgraded to the latest iOS, and he did it via iTunes, so doesn't that effect the same as a factory reset?  I'm wondering if an app may be causing it, but I can't think if there's a way to see which apps are using the most bandwidth on an iPhone. There may of course be an app for that.  ;D
Simon.
--

Steve

The top two recommended options are a network reset and turning off  the wifi network location service.
Steve
------------

nowster

Is there a microwave oven or older video sender in the vicinity?

Glenn

Quote from: Simon on Dec 06, 2014, 14:54:40
It does seem to be pointing towards the iPhone, Glenn, but it's just had the software upgraded to the latest iOS, and he did it via iTunes,

Did it do the same before the 'upgrade'?
Glenn
--------------------

Simon

Glenn, yes.

Nowster, no idea!  There certainly wouldn't be anything like that in the house at that time of night.

Steve, I'll have a look at his phone settings tomorrow morning. 

Thanks guys.  :)
Simon.
--

Technical Ben

Quote from: Simon on Dec 06, 2014, 10:26:18
A friend, who is with IDNet, has a strange problem with his WiFi.  It seems to slow "to a crawl" nearly every night at 11:05pm.  Weirdly, this only seems to happen on his iPhone, so I don't think its an IDNet issue.  Sometimes his connection reverts to normal after a couple of minutes, but sometimes can take half an hour or more.  The connection is fine at all other times during the day, and (as far as I am aware at this time) on all other WiFi devices.

I have checked his router logs, on a DG834G, and it is showing no disconnections.  He has also moved the router, and moved the affected device closer to the router when this happens, but this has had no effect. 

I'm at a loss as to what else to suggest, so any ideas would be welcomed. 
Any chance he has economy 7?
I seem to get interference with the signal they send (radio apparently) that switches my economy 7 over.
I use to have a signature, then it all changed to chip and pin.

Simon

Simon.
--

Simon

Doesn't think so.  Scottish Power all in one Gas + Electric tariff. 
Simon.
--

nowster

Quote from: Technical Ben on Dec 06, 2014, 19:40:14
Any chance he has economy 7?
I seem to get interference with the signal they send (radio apparently) that switches my economy 7 over.
That's sent on long wave radio as phase modulation of Radio 4. More than you would be affected if it was the signal. It's more likely to be the arcing of the contacts switching on your storage heaters.

Technical Ben

It kills my router (though not through wifi, something about it interferers with my line/routers). (IIRC I've turned off the storage heaters to test)
I use to have a signature, then it all changed to chip and pin.