Moving to fibre

Started by Glenbuck, Dec 14, 2014, 15:54:27

Previous topic - Next topic

Glenbuck

Hello everyone

I'm looking for a wee bit of advice please. I've been a customer of IDNet for a good many years and a very happy one at that. I have their broadband and telephone service. I'm a pensioner now and getting on a bit and technology has become a bit of a challenge.

My son visited on Friday and suggested I think about moving over to fibre as there is now a cabinet (?) only about 20 yards from my house. I spoke with a really helpful member of staff at IDnet who explained the process and that BT come out and install a new modem next to my main phone socket.

My set up at the moment though is that main phone socket is in the kitchen, slap bang on the lower part of a tiled wall and from it is an extension through to a bedroom and this is where my modem is connected, my landline handset and where I have my computer. The main socket and extension were done by the folks who lived here before me.

My worry is that IDNet said that if the BT man comes out sees where the main socket is he may not be able to install because of the tiling and I may be charged a call-out fee by them. So, I've not ordered it yet.

Does anyone know if there is an alternative way to do this please?

With thanks

Bill

Glenn

Bill  :welc: :karma:

What type of master socket do you have in the kitchen is it an NTE5 http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/socket.htm if so, then all they did when mine was converted to fibre, was replace the faceplate. It does need to have power close by for the Fibre modem.
Glenn
--------------------

This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

Steve

I don't think there is , BT can install an extension kit and I guess that is what the additional charge is for.

An alternative here.

http://www.vmadmin.co.uk/other/357-moving-bt-infinity-dsl-from-master-socket-to-any-household-extension-socket

The question I would ask is do you need FTTC , do you simultaneously stream on multiple devices, do you watch streamed HD movies and of course how fast is your adsl line and is adsl2+ available.
Steve
------------

stevenrw

Some things for you to consider.
1. What speed are you currently getting and do you really need fibre?
2. BT supply a new faceplate, and a modem, which then connects to the router, which in turn connects to your computer (wirelessly or wired). You will obviously need a power socket near to the OpenReach modem. The OpenReach modem has to be connected via an ethernet cable to your router, so that can be a little way away. As you are with IDNet, BT do not supply a router, just the modem. The phone is not affected. You can use any socket as you do at the moment for your phone.
3. Is your current router suitable for fibre? You do need a router with an EWAN port, and whilst you can purchase one without a huge outlay, again you might consider whether you need it or not.
4. The normal "2 box solution" (ie the BT OpenReach fibre modem plus your router) could be sitting somewhere in your kitchen but that will necessitate you connecting your computer wirelessly. If it is a desktop rather than a lappy, you may need to also invest in a USB wireless adapter (again not a huge expense) but its all starting to add up, in addition to which the actual cost of the fibre service will be more than you are paying for ADSL. In addition to which there is the one off installation cost (around £90 if memory serves)
5. The last thing to consider is that just because you have a cabinet outside your front door, it may not be the cabinet that serves your property. I'm in the same situation. I have a cabinet 20m from my house but it serves houses in the opposite direction. My cabinet is some way away so I can only get about 30Mb/s max. The speed estimator on the IDNet website will tell you what you can expect.
Sure, its nice to have the latest and greatest but you will pay for the privilege and as a pensioner you do need to establish whether you will benefit from the extra financial outlay, not to mention having a modem in your kitchen, taking up worktop space.

Glenbuck

Glenn

My master socket doesn't look like that. I checked the site you gave me and I seem to have to be the NTE5A Master Socket.

Simon, I am not sure. When the grandkids appear they moan a lot because of the speed they get on their compuetrs which they bring with them. My speed is usually around 3.5mb but I am long way from my exchange. Also, Virgin etc don't offer cable here. I perhaps watch one documentary or movie a month and never download music. Yes ADSL2+ is available at my exchange. I got the details from the exchange checker page.

I use my broadband mosty for surfing the same sites every day which are mostly about travel, my bank and a good few BBC sites also. All that plus email of course. That's about it if I was honest.

Might ADSL2+  be a better alternative?

Maybe the kids will just have to realise that I don't have what they need and put up with it!

Bill

Glenbuck

Steve

Thank you very much. I think you had posted as I was writing.

I have a few unused power sockets close to the BT master.

I am getting the feeling I really don't need this. It is complicated too and these days I just want to take it easy!

I appreciate all of your replies though and wonder if ADSL2+ might be the best and cheaper option.

Thank you and regards,

Bill 

Simon

Hi Bill,  :welc:

My internet usage is much the same as yours, and I'm quite happy with ADSL2+.  For what I need, I can't justify the additional expense of Fibre.  As it would still be a monthly contract, providing your line would support it well, why not upgrade to ADSL2+ and see how it goes?  You could always upgrade again at a later stage, if you still feel the need.
Simon.
--

colirv

If the OP is only getting 3.5Mb and is "a long way from the exchange" then I can't see ADSL2+ making much, if any, difference.
Colin

stevenrw

Simon - as glen is already with IDNet, wouldn't he be on ADSL2+ service anyway? And as Colin says, would it make a huge difference if he is at some distance from the exchange?
Glenbuck - I'd suggest a call to the good folks at IDNet would give you the information you need as far as that is concerned. You can get a pretty good idea oof what you should expect by putting your landline number in on their website http://www.idnet.net/data_products/enterprise_broadband.php
It sounds complicated but Fibre really isn't, you just need to be aware of what you need, what its going to cost you and whether you consider it worthwhile just to keep the grandkids happy on the odd occasion. Kids today are clued up when it comes to what is good speed and what isn't, because they talk to their friends, and of course they use their devices constantly at home.
They might well get better speed on their phones if your wireless speed is too slow, and don't forget, if you are with IDNet ADSL service you have a bandwidth limit over which you'll be paying...
So don't let them start downloading loads of HD content.
Trouble is that they have no knowledge (or interest) in what it costs.

Simon

As I said, Bill's line would need to support ADSL2+ well for him to benefit from it.  Would he not currently be on one of the old Max packages, and potentially receive the higher bandwidth allowance by upgrading?  I'm not sure if the distance from the exchange could actually make things worse, could it?
Simon.
--

colirv

Quote from: stevenrw on Dec 15, 2014, 16:30:06
So don't let them start downloading loads of HD content.

Indeed. On a recent visit my nephew asked if he could use our wifi, so I gave him the details for our guest network (thank you, Netgear). By the end of the day he'd used just over a Gigabyte!
Colin

Clive

You got away very lightly Colin!   :laugh:

Glenbuck

Thanks everyone for all your help. I did make that call today. I'm not on ADSL2+ but have decided not to change anything. I've got all the speed I need for what I do at a price that suits me and the knowledge that the good folks at IDNet are always there to help.

As for the grandkids..they can make their own arangements and leave my broadband out of it. A visit a week from them shouldn't be too hard for them to sit back, relax and TALK.

With regards to all

Bill