Too many recipients

Started by peasblossom, Jun 04, 2015, 13:00:51

Previous topic - Next topic

peasblossom

A quick google suggests that getting this error message when sending an email is usually down to limits set by your ISP. It's not normally a problem but I'm on a mailing list for a group around 46 strong and can't email anything to it now. Do I need to phone IDNet about it or is there another line (no pun) I could take?

peasblossom

Phoned IDNet. They've not come across this before and indeed doesn't appear to be something they'd limit anyway if I understood the chap I was speaking to correctly.

Clive

My motto is when in doubt, reboot your computer.  It seems to work for most annoyances.   :D

Simon

I don't know who you spoke to at IDNet, but I believe there is indeed a limit to the number of outgoing recipients per hour, and this is largely dependant on the strength of the password used for your email account.  I think how often you login to the account is also a factor.

I would suggest that you check your email account in your customer portal, and next to where it displays your password strength, click View Details to see your email account quotas and restrictions.

If you have a weak password, change it to something stronger, then wait an hour for the restriction to be reset (if indeed, this is the case).
Simon.
--
This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

peasblossom

I can't recall the chap's name but he was from technical support and not Brian or Simon. (For example.) Anyway Simon, your post has illuminated things. I see that I'm limited to 100 recipients outgoing or incoming per hour. Explains a lot. Ta.

Simon

I think that's fairly normal, as a spam prevention measure. 
Simon.
--
This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

SimonM_IDNet

Hi,

The email limits on IDNet mail servers will also be dyanmic. Going by the password strength of your email address (if you have an IDNet one it will check against it). The stronger/more secure the password the higher the limit. Up to the 100/100 allowance. So it can scale quite a bit. The server would check the password strength hourly so if any changes are made it would be an hour until it updates it self.

Hope this helps.

Kind regards
Simon Mulliss
IDNet support

peasblossom

This is very odd. I can't actually send anything via that address. Not even to myself at another address.  :dunno: I have no idea if it's a webmail issue now or what.

peasblossom

It seems if I wait a bit and then try again later, it's fine. An smtp server thing apparently.  As you were.