Fibre vs distance from cabinet

Started by duncan, Jul 23, 2015, 17:29:34

Previous topic - Next topic

duncan

I've been campaigning and waiting for fibre for years so I was overjoyed to to have it installed in my local village a couple of months ago.  Trouble is...I'm not getting it.  I share the same cabinet as the village residents, but live a few miles outside.  If I use the availability checker the only option I am given is 2Mb ADSL, exactly the same as before.

I had been led to believe that when the cabinet was upgraded everyone would reap the benefit of faster connection speeds.  It seems not.  Presumably BT are making a decision on who is fibre enabled based on how far they are from the cabinet.  Is this right?  If so what is the cut off? 

nowster

Nope... once you get over a couple of hundred yards, VDSL has the same bandwidth/distance curve as ADSL, possibly worse. Sorry.

colirv

Colin

Glenn

Glenn
--------------------

This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

Gary

Quote from: Glenn on Jul 24, 2015, 07:15:05
http://www.increasebroadbandspeed.co.uk/2013/chart-bt-fttc-vdsl2-speed-against-distance
Nice link, of course other things like quality of wiring in the home, aluminium etc also effect speeds. People should realy be told that FTTC is not fibre at all, its only fibre to the cabinet, you still rely on the copper or Aluminium from there to your home. FTTP and its variants seems to be dying a death and with G.fast coming wont really be needed anyway.
Damned, if you do damned if you don't