How to choose a wifi booster

Started by Noelle, Nov 23, 2015, 18:51:46

Previous topic - Next topic

Noelle

Hello,

I have fibre and I installed the Billion router provided by Idnet. The range of the wifi is awful. I'm ordered one an Amazon which is activated by wps. I push the  wps button on my router but it didn't work :-(
Are there wifi booster which work without the WPS.
I'm really thinking about leaving Idnet. I have not a good knowledge of routers, I used to have a NetGear with ADSL and had a great coverage. I have 3 bars from the Sky wifi of my neighbour and his house is 5 yards away from mine.
Thanks!

nowster

A WiFi booster will only work IF it can get a signal itself.

I'd suggest a booster that has an ethernet (wired) connection to your router, and then transmits your network over the mains wiring (power line), and the far end box has the WiFi bit.

Noelle

Thanks for your reply. My signal is very strong in my living-room where the master socket is. Could you recommend a specific product? I'm lost in all models and makes.

john

I've used got some TP-LINK powerline adapters that works well with a device that only uses a wired connection. To use WiFi you would need a WiFI extender. If possible you may be able to get these with mains pass through so it doesn't tie up a socket. I'm sure other makes will work okay too and others here will recommend them. It would also be worth reading some reviews on Amazon.

Simon

As a simple experiment, it may be worth relocating the router to see if you then get better coverage.  Perhaps it's near a DECT telephone, or something else which may be interfering with the signal?
Simon.
--
This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

Noelle

The router has always been in the same place: with NetGear and ADSL, I had a perfect coverage, with Billion, I have a poor coverage. I can see the Sky wifi of my neighour and it's pretty powerful in MY house. Billion is provided by idnet and it's brand new. The maximum speed I can reach where I live is 35 meg, I have 35 meg in my living room, 1.5 meg upstairs :-( Idnet tried to switch channels yesterday, it improved nothing.
Do you think this product could be OK: http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00NPRW73S?colid=2VFJVA0RNY9FP&coliid=IYW2JOVXSY758&psc=1&ref_=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_ttl

stevenrw

Billion routers are normally pretty good. I've been using the BiPac 7800n for years and its faultless.
A couple of things to try first.
Are you using a laptop or a desktop machine? If it is a desktop, are you using a USB wifi adapter and is it set to receive at least wireless 802.11n?
I assume they have supplied the Billion 8800NL, or did you opt for the more expensive 800AXL? Either way assuming your wifi adapter is at least 802.11N capeable, and you don't live in a stately home with 16 bedrooms or 12" think walls you should have no problems.
As Simon suggested, try moving your router slightly and/or your wifi adapter. They can be a bit temperamental. Just because it worked fine with another brand of router doesn't mean the Billion one will be the same necessarilly.
Irrespective of download speed, what does the signal strength meter read upstairs? How many bars? (Bottom right of screen, near the clock and the loudspeaker icon)
Is the difference (35 vs 1.5) on the same laptop, just moving it upstairs?
You said that IDNet support tried changing the channel - did you try more than one alternative channel? I changed from the default channel (Ch.1 or maybe 2) right to the other end of the scale (12) and that made a huge difference.
If it is a USB wireless adapter on a desktop you might try updating the drivers. We really need to know if its a lappy or a desktop.
Do you know anybody with a laptop that could pop round and try what they get upstairs?

Noelle

I tested the wifi with 2 desktop, one laptop, my iPhone, I always get the same result: poor upstairs with only 3 bars.

stevenrw

Then I would definately try changing the wireless channel again, and/or try moving the router. You would be amazed that sometimes only a few inches can make the difference.
IDNet support should be able to assist but it really isn't difficult.
Was it the 8800NL or the 8800AXL? Maybe you need the better AC coverage.

Simon

I guess it's possible that the router could be faulty.  If all else fails, it might be worth asking IDNet for a replacement.
Simon.
--

Noelle

I have moved it, no difference.
It's already the second router sent by Idnet...
I should have sticked to ADSL and my old NetGear router.

stevenrw

And did you/they try the wireless channel again Noelle?
Just another thought - have you tried contacting Billion support? They are UK based and on the odd occasion I've had to speak to them, they have been really helpful. They are only there m-f 10:00-5:00.
I'd give them a call because it really shouldn't perform that badly. I'm convinced there is a setup issue here, especially as you say this is the second unit.

Noelle

Steve

It's often helpful to identify what channels neighbouring WiFi are using so that you can pick something different. A google of "WiFi Sniffer" may help. I ran a Billion 7800N a few years ago and the range was quite good.
Steve
------------

Noelle

I have the password of the wifi of my neighbours as I use it as a backup. They're very kind. How Can I check their channel? Thanks!

Glenn

Glenn
--------------------

Noelle

I have an iPhone ;-) Could you give me the name of the app? I'm sure it's in the App Store.

dudwell

The free computer programme innSSIDer Home reveals that five of my neighbours use wireless channel 11 and four use channel 6.

Changing my Billion-AP-2.4g router away from its default channel 6 to channel 13 appears  :fingers: to have solved the previously intolerable buffering experienced with watching 4oD on my 7 Mb connection - see the current buffering thread.

Noelle

innSSIDer Home is not free anymore and is quite expensive now and there is no trial version.

Noelle

I have found a free version. There is my wifi and the one of my neighbour + 3 wifi hotspots. They operate on channel 6 and 11, I'm on 13 which is the most powerful channel.

dudwell

Hmm.. I've been reading a bit more about channels (and risking a split head in the process!). It appears that one should always choose between 1,6 and 11. But my router offers choices from 5 to 13 only and a majority of the neighbours are on 11 so surely 11 is to be avoided? It's even suggested somewhere that to choose something other than 1,6 and 11 may interfere with the neighbours! :conf:

Anyway I think I'll stay on 13 with Noelle until someone persuades me otherwise because it seems to be better than 6 for watching on-demand TV.

nowster

Bear in mind that WiFi-N only uses 40MHz channels (2x20MHz) IF the second channel is clear. For most people with neighbours who also have WiFi, this means that they'll never get better than what N will do on a 20MHz channel. This isn't that well known.

Noelle

I'm glad to have only one neighbour  :)