Google question

Started by peasblossom, May 05, 2021, 13:09:52

Previous topic - Next topic

peasblossom

I have a mobile that was gifted to me by a relative. The email address connected to it has stayed with it but I use my own GMail address. Recently it's been asking me to give a birthdate for the original address. Will any service be lost if I keep ignoring it? It's that or supply a false one (as I have a policy of never giving my real birthdate to tech unless I have to.)

Clive

I don't blame you at all.  But would it not be easier to ask your relative for their birth date?  Or perhaps another member of the family who knows it.   :angel:

peasblossom

I would never use anyone's real birthdate for something like this. I think it's a security issue.

Simon

Can you not remove the previous user's account from the phone?
Simon.
--
This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

zappaDPJ

Quote from: peasblossom on May 05, 2021, 20:45:40
I would never use anyone's real birthdate for something like this. I think it's a security issue.

I agree, it is a security issue and without knowing all the details it might even be a scam. Personally I would reset the phone to its factory defaults and start over.
zap
--------------------

This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

Clive

That's an even better idea!

peasblossom

Quote from: Clive on May 06, 2021, 10:49:52
That's an even better idea!
It would be if not for the fact that I've had it while and I'd lose rather a lot! It's definitely not a scam either as Google have started doing this. I checked. I decided to go creative with it instead. And it's only the person who set it up with the first account that can remove it. I can see why, but it is a bit of a bind.