iDNet and VOIP

Started by Tacitus, May 13, 2021, 14:29:31

Previous topic - Next topic

Tacitus

Has anyone any inside info on how iDNet propose to deal with the upcoming switch off of POTS?  I see they're offering SOGEA lines and business VOIP, but I couldn't find anything on whether they propose to offer voip to domestic users.  Admittedly iDNet are mainly a business provider but they must have a fair number of purely domestic users for  Broadband and voice (POTS). 

At present their POTS call charges on a PAYG basis include a call set up charge of 9.6p which is ridiculous when most of the voip providers are charging purely on a minute basis.  For example voipfone charge 1.2p/min with a minimum charge of 1 minute.  I believe Port 5060 charge even less. 

With the POTS switch off due to be complete by 2025, now might be a good time to decide on how to deal with it, perhaps with Broadband from iDNet and a separate VOIP provider such as Sipgate or Voipfone.

robinc

There is a lengthy discussion on this subject here:-

https://www.idnetters.co.uk/forums/index.php/topic,33961.0.html

and more recently here:-

https://www.idnetters.co.uk/forums/index.php/topic,34020.0.html

The general assumption in ISP land is that service providers will supply ATA adapters (if required as many routers have the function built in) FOC. We have yet to see how IDNet will be doing this.

On the basis that I do not want another box to manage (or for my wife to try to manage if/when I drop off my perch) I have instead swapped our mobiles over to BT which allows VoLTE that does work even though our 2G signal is poor. It also gives us VoWifi if needed - these are non-BT specific phones. I think that will have to do and at least something will work when we get our localised power cuts. If towers go down - well tough I guess. Get in the car and head for the hills. :dunno:

If we tell people their brain is an app - they might actually start to use it.

Tacitus

Quote from: robinc on May 13, 2021, 16:06:38
There is a lengthy discussion on this subject here:-
https://www.idnetters.co.uk/forums/index.php/topic,33961.0.html
and more recently here:-
https://www.idnetters.co.uk/forums/index.php/topic,34020.0.html

Thanks for the links.  Should have been more thorough in my searching......

The general assumption in ISP land is that service providers will supply ATA adapters (if required as many routers have the function built in) FOC. We have yet to see how IDNet will be doing this.
The need for an ATA adaptor or a router with one built in is what prompted this post.  My existing modem is showing signs of age and it would make sense for any new one to have a built in ATA function.  There seems to be relatively few around at present:  Draytek, Fritzbox and the latest BT smart hub are the only ones I've seen, although no doubt there will be several more over the next few years.

On the basis that I do not want another box to manage (or for my wife to try to manage if/when I drop off my perch) I have instead swapped our mobiles over to BT which allows VoLTE that does work even though our 2G signal is poor. It also gives us VoWifi if needed - these are non-BT specific phones. I think that will have to do and at least something will work when we get our localised power cuts. If towers go down - well tough I guess. Get in the car and head for the hills. :dunno:

I'm on O2 which is the only viable signal round here, although some people have had success with Vodafone.  Three is non existent although claiming an excellent signal, whilst EE barely reaches one bar on a good day....   I suspect these latter are only transmitting 4G, whereas O2 are still doing 2G/3G.  Once they drop this, it will become a mobile not-spot and reliant on voice over WiFi, which won't work in a power cut.  Isn't progress wonderful :)

robinc

Quote from: Tacitus on May 13, 2021, 18:44:22

The need for an ATA adaptor or a router with one built in is what prompted this post.  My existing modem is showing signs of age and it would make sense for any new one to have a built in ATA function.  There seems to be relatively few around at present:  Draytek, Fritzbox and the latest BT smart hub are the only ones I've seen, although no doubt there will be several more over the next few years.

I'm on O2 which is the only viable signal round here, although some people have had success with Vodafone.  Three is non existent although claiming an excellent signal, whilst EE barely reaches one bar on a good day....   I suspect these latter are only transmitting 4G, whereas O2 are still doing 2G/3G.  Once they drop this, it will become a mobile not-spot and reliant on voice over WiFi, which won't work in a power cut.  Isn't progress wonderful :)
I was on O2 - rural location - and very happy too. However they are firmware locked when it comes to VoWifi. EE only gives me one or two bars on the meter, I don't know exactly what that is displaying but I think it is 2G strength until something else is used. However VoLTE is still there and 4G is good enough. With VoWifi as well it's a good compromise. I'm not sure about 2G - I have a feeling it is going to be with us a lot longer and hopefully the 4G /5G network will expand more in the next couple of years.
If we tell people their brain is an app - they might actually start to use it.

L2020

Quote from: Tacitus on May 13, 2021, 18:44:22

I would advise against getting a router with built-in ATA (VoIP) as it limits your choices and may not be as well tested or supported as a purpose built device.  A router is becoming a jack of all trades and potentially a master of none. 

Getting something standalone is probably the better option in my opinion, that also means you can swap out your router as and when required without worrying about the phone aspect.  Something like a DECT VoIP base station and a couple of handsets or an ATA if you wish to plug in a corded phone.

nowster

Just don't put a DECT base station next to a DSL modem.

Tacitus

Quote from: L2020 on May 14, 2021, 10:29:57
I would advise against getting a router with built-in ATA (VoIP) as it limits your choices and may not be as well tested or supported as a purpose built device.  A router is becoming a jack of all trades and potentially a master of none. 
Getting something standalone is probably the better option in my opinion, that also means you can swap out your router as and when required without worrying about the phone aspect.  Something like a DECT VoIP base station and a couple of handsets or an ATA if you wish to plug in a corded phone.

I was really hoping to avoid having a separate ATA such as the Cisco 191/192. 

My present setup uses a Gigaset DX800 which is a desktop phone with built in DECT transmitter.  It has an ethernet port and will do VOIP which then turns the separate handsets into 'extensions' which might mean setting them up as a hunting group rather than have then ring simultaneously as per an 'old' system; one reason I prefer an ATA adaptor, at least at this stage.   The desktop phone is connected via CW1308 to the main socket in the roof.

Since I'm getting to the point of needing a new router it seemed simplest to get one with built in ATA - probably a Draytek 2765 - and it would be simple to then do some reconnecting to run a short wire from that to the last socket on the CW1308 line, disconnecting that line at the main socket end.  The router itself is on an independent run of Cat5e - a legacy of a 1 meg connection on a good day, so every little helped as they say.

I don't particularly want to have to move everything around at this stage, although as redecoration proceeds it might make sense to reconsider the location for everything and perhaps take the opportunity to wire everything up using Cat6a from a central point.     

I can't see FTTH happening round here in the near future despite all that BT say.

L2020

Quote from: nowster on May 14, 2021, 11:33:51
Just don't put a DECT base station next to a DSL modem.

There is no problem having a DECT base station next to a modem provided it isn't faulty in some way.  After all many routers with VoIP come with built in DECT base stations so you just connect using a DECT handset. So you can't get a modem and DECT base station much closer than that :laugh:

L2020

Quote from: Tacitus on May 14, 2021, 12:43:05
I was really hoping to avoid having a separate ATA such as the Cisco 191/192.

You can of course avoid a separate box and do the all in one option, just my experience of VoIP in routers has been less than positive, usually finding the VoIP in the router has crashed after a few weeks with the result calls can no longer be made or received and it needs a reboot.  This unreliability has continue since trying VoIP on a router a decade ago or so on a Draytek 2800 with VoIP, SpeedTouch routers with VoIP, all the way up to my last attempts a couple of years ago on a ZyXel before I gave up and went with a standalone VoIP DECT phone, which has never crashed.

I would hope these added value functions are getting more reliable as people find they are switching away from PTSN, but as it isn't the primary function of the device, it's not going to have as much attention from the manufacturer.

nowster

Quote from: L2020 on May 14, 2021, 18:24:15
There is no problem having a DECT base station next to a modem provided it isn't faulty in some way.  After all many routers with VoIP come with built in DECT base stations so you just connect using a DECT handset. So you can't get a modem and DECT base station much closer than that :laugh:
You've never done tech support on DSL problems, then. Most modems aren't shielded for that sort of pulsed RF power close to. The ones with built-in DECT will have the sensitive circuitry "canned". Telling the customer to move the two units apart by at least 3 feet often cured problems.