Time to replace router?

Started by camdave, Mar 19, 2022, 20:22:34

Previous topic - Next topic

camdave

My TP-Link modem/router is six years old and, as far as I can tell, is working perfectly well. I have read in various articles that a router should be replaced at around five years in respect of security issues and advances in technology.

Has anyone views on this suggestion?

Simon

Not a professional opinion by any means, but my Asus DSL-N66U is getting on for ten years old, and still going strong.  In fact, I've just upgraded to a Fibre connection, and I assumed I would have to replace the router, but it works perfectly.  If it ain't broke...? 
Simon.
--
This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

talos

:iagree:
             Why go looking for trouble  :dunno:

Postal

If I can just introduce one note of caution here, suppliers of consumer-grade routers only tend to support them for a limited length of time.  I don't know how often TP-Link upgrade their firmware but sooner or later they will stop issuing updates to the firmware which will carry over all of the latest security patches.  Although a home router will not be a prime target for the bad actors out there in the internet, there will be a potential risk as the router firmware gets further and further behind the security curve.

Postal

And by sheer coincidence news today that Asus SOHO and domestic routers can be compromised by an attack from one of the principal Russian groups of bad actors: https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/news/security/asus-warns-of-cyclops-blink-malware-attacks-targeting-routers/.

Ray

Doesn't look as though it affects my Asus DSL AC68U.  :fingers: :fingers:
Ray
--------------------

This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

Postal

Quote from: Ray on Mar 21, 2022, 17:09:37
Doesn't look as though it affects my Asus DSL AC68U.  :fingers: :fingers:

The DSL AC68U is the modem-router version of the RT AC68U router listed by ASUS in their advisory.  Probably be good to get confirmation that the native protection in the modem part of the DSL AC68U will stop the malware hitting the router part of the box.

camdave

Thanks for all the input.

David

andrue

Quote from: Simon on Mar 19, 2022, 23:10:12
Not a professional opinion by any means, but my Asus DSL-N66U is getting on for ten years old, and still going strong.  In fact, I've just upgraded to a Fibre connection, and I assumed I would have to replace the router, but it works perfectly.  If it ain't broke...?
I'm still using my original HG612 as a modem. You'll have to pry it out of my cold, dead hands :D