Stuck Speed?

Started by Maris, Oct 07, 2007, 19:04:33

Previous topic - Next topic

Maris

My IDNet connection was activated on Wednesday & my speed ever since has been a constant 1.1 Meg. This is 4 times faster than what I've had for months with BT so I''m not complaining, particularly since BT told me on more than one occasion that my line could not handle anything faster than 250 kb. (My neighbour 'claims' his connection is over 4 Meg). I realize that there's a 10 day training period at which my line stabilizes at the fastest connection it can handle so I would have expected some variation in the speed. Does anyone have any observations on this please?

:eek4:

Gary

Line speed can vary from house to house, due to connection at the exchange wiring etc, I wouldn't worry to much what your neighbour says. Make sure your wiring is good quality away from mains cable, see the FAQ page and that will give you an idea of what to look for also it can depend if your using a router or a usb modem. Wait and see how it goes over the ten day period and if you have any issues contact support.  :)
Damned, if you do damned if you don't

Guy

Hi Maris

I'm no expert but picked up a few hints from here (especially see http://www.idnetters.co.uk/forums/index.php?topic=3893.0)

Rik hinted (towards the end of the thread) that I may have been "stuck" too.

If it helps, these are the links I used for checking:
http://test.speedtester.bt.com:50301/
http://www.speedtest.net

As I said, I don't know whether it was the BT check or coincidence but my connection didn't half pick up its skirts after running it!

Good luck.

;D

Gary

Quote from: Maris on Oct 07, 2007, 19:04:33
My IDNet connection was activated on Wednesday & my speed ever since has been a constant 1.1 Meg. This is 4 times faster than what I've had for months with BT so I''m not complaining, particularly since BT told me on more than one occasion that my line could not handle anything faster than 250 kb. (My neighbour 'claims' his connection is over 4 Meg). I realize that there's a 10 day training period at which my line stabilizes at the fastest connection it can handle so I would have expected some variation in the speed. Does anyone have any observations on this please?

:eek4:
Can you give us your line stats, attenuation and noise levels? That is a good indicator of the state of the line itself and distance from the exchange

Maris

Thanks for your prompt replies & your suggestions.  I'll wait until my 10 days are up & if it is still an issue I'll work out how to get them stats.  :timeout: :timeout:

Gary

The stats are in your router Maris if you use one, but I would say just wait and see how the training goes  as you said. If you read through the FAQ in your own time you will pick up what is needed to help out with questions about your line, its all quite easy and everyone helps each other out here, as we all are learning. Enjoy your new speed anyway ;D