Recommended router for technophobes?

Started by Simon, Nov 29, 2007, 21:43:51

Previous topic - Next topic

Simon

I have been asked to find a wireless router for some relations, who are total technophobes, so it needs to be very easy to set up, and then remain maintenance free.  Although it needs to be reliable, performance in terms of speed, is secondary to that of stability.  This is real set it and forget it territory.

I have in mind the Netgear DG834G, as I have one myself, and could guide them through the set up, which I found quite simple.  This would be coupled with a wireless USB dongle.

Any other suggestions?
Simon.
--
This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

Lance

A 2700HGV of course!

If you buy one which has SBC software, it really is as simple as entering the username/password, and then securing the wireless network. All very simple to do!

This option does of course assumes that the pc already has a wireless adapter.
Lance
_____

Simon

Quote from: Lance on Nov 29, 2007, 22:22:11
This option does of course assumes that the pc already has a wireless adapter.

I don't think it does, Lance, would it not work with a USB dongle?
Simon.
--

Lance

It would, but would have to be brought separately. I think there are quite a few Netgear bundles of both the router and usb key.
Lance
_____

Simon

Simon.
--

Rik

Is there any way you can get the line stats, Simon? That would give us a clue as to whether a Netgear would be OK for them. It does have the advantage of simplicity, ease of use and a warranty - the 2700 would not have the latter, and this might be important for technophobes.
Rik
--------------------

Simon

Would the BT speedtester work if I put their phone number in?  Oh, I'd need log in details as well, wouldn't I?
Simon.
--

Rik

Yup... Could you get them to do it (if it's working, which seems rare these days)?
Rik
--------------------

john

I have a Netgear DG834G too Simon, I found it quite easy to set up and its been running okay continuously since June. Also if you expect to be called upon to help set it up and support it then it would be better for them to have one that your familiar with.

Simon

Quote from: Rik on Nov 30, 2007, 00:43:56
Yup... Could you get them to do it (if it's working, which seems rare these days)?

Possibly - but would it really make much difference as to which router to choose?  As I said, speed is second to stability.

Quote from: john on Nov 30, 2007, 01:27:47
I have a Netgear DG834G too Simon, I found it quite easy to set up and its been running okay continuously since June. Also if you expect to be called upon to help set it up and support it then it would be better for them to have one that your familiar with.

My thinking precisely, John.
Simon.
--

Rik

Quote from: Si6776 on Nov 30, 2007, 10:55:46
Possibly - but would it really make much difference as to which router to choose?  As I said, speed is second to stability.

OTOH, my Netgear delivered a fluctuating noise margin, by about 7db, and dropped the connection at intervals. The 2700, so far, is synching faster and has a rock-steady margin of 9db after dark and 10db during the day, so it may prove more stable and give extra speed. Knowing their margin and sync speed would be useful in deciding whether a 2700 would be worthwhile.

QuoteMy thinking precisely, John.

It does have a strong argument.
Rik
--------------------

Simon

I think we can discount the 2700, Rik.  :)
Simon.
--

Rik

In that case DG834 or Speedtouch 586.
Rik
--------------------

Simon

I think the DG843 package on Ebuyer is quite a good deal.
Simon.
--

talos2

Quote from: Si6776 on Nov 29, 2007, 22:32:20
That's what I'm looking at - specifically...

http://www.ebuyer.com/product/119374
I've been looking at that one too, seems impressive to a complete novice like me,  but now for a (probably) stupid question, I have a standard desk type computer and a notebook, does this router kit contain all I need ?
I am running Vista on the laptop and XP on the other.
Bob
EX Orange and proud of it.

Rik

Hi Bob

Most machines now have an ethernet port as standard, most lappies also have wireless built in. You'll find everything you need in the box to connect to one machine by ethernet cable, if you want to connect a second machine with a cable, you'd need to buy an extra one. I would also recommend using a higher quality filter, particularly if your line is in any way marginal.
Rik
--------------------

Noreen

I've got a wired DG834v3 and when I first connected it up I really didn't have a clue about routers etc but it was so easy to do, I imagine that the wireless version is equally so. Absolutely no problems since.

Rik

The only additional bit is to secure the wireless connection, Noreen. It is very easy, even though 'setting up a router' sounds complicated.

There's a guide here.
Rik
--------------------

Noreen

I don't need it, thanks Rik, I've got no reason to convert to wireless.

Simon

Quote from: Rik on Dec 02, 2007, 10:50:19
Hi Bob

Most machines now have an ethernet port as standard, most lappies also have wireless built in. You'll find everything you need in the box to connect to one machine by ethernet cable, if you want to connect a second machine with a cable, you'd need to buy an extra one. I would also recommend using a higher quality filter, particularly if your line is in any way marginal.

Actually, an Ethernet port isn't required with that package, as the USB dongle does it all.  Install the dongle first, and it acts as a network card, then you can install the router.  :)  I did it round at my friend's house, and it was a doddle.

Oh, and your laptop should pick up the router with it's own wireless facility, so you should be able to set up both with that package.
Simon.
--

Rik

Quote from: Noreen on Dec 02, 2007, 11:40:00
I don't need it, thanks Rik, I've got no reason to convert to wireless.

I suspect, in the future, we all will be using wireless to stream content off the net, Noreen. Aldi have already had an internet radio for less than £50, and I'm sure prices will fall further. TV will arrive for most of us, sooner or later, and then there's VOIP, of course.

The 'net as we know it is going to change massively.
Rik
--------------------

Rik

Quote from: Si6776 on Dec 02, 2007, 11:42:49
Actually, an Ethernet port isn't required with that package, as the USB dongle does it all

Is the dongle a USB/Ethernet convertor, then, Simon?
Rik
--------------------

Simon

Oh, don't ask me complicated questions!!    You plug it in and it works!  ;D
Simon.
--

Rik

;D

It's just that most supplied dongles are wireless adaptors. Usually, you can't set up security on a wireless router wirelessly, as the connection gets cut in the act of securing the router...
Rik
--------------------

Lance

I'm going to differ Rik. If the router is defaulted with no security, you can connect to it, set up the security and reboot. At this point you will lose the wireless connection. Put the security settings onto the computer and then you will be able to reconnect.

Should the router have security on as default, you should be able to find these settings in the manual.

This is certainly how I set up my old linksys router, and my 2700HGV too!
Lance
_____