How do they get this ?

Started by old Bill, Jan 05, 2008, 21:38:19

Previous topic - Next topic

old Bill

In my search for the perfect ISP I did a check with Talk Talk who have just LLU my exchange. Now we all know that Talk Talk comes a very close second to IDnet for speed and C/S :out:. Having run a speed check on my line they came up with a very strange result.
Your broadband will activate:   09 February 08 giving you a speed of up to 2 Mbps
Your network switchover will occur by:   07 March 08 giving you a speed of up to 7.3 Mbps
Now if I run the BT line checker it says I can only get around 4 meg.This was my old line speed. It does not take in the fact that I am on a new line which gives me 7 meg. So is it just a case of Talk Talk stretching the truth or is it that there LLU service is faster then BTs ?

Simon

Sorry Bill, I have no idea as to the answer to your question, but have a Karma for your 600th post!  :)
Simon.
--
This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

Adam

If both services use ADSL then I can't see how it could offer much higher sync over the same line. Both checkers can only estimate what speed you can get, the way in which they guess your speed is obviously different.
Adam

ducky22

LLU providers actually use the same checker as BT. It is a wholesale product (the checker that is).

Possibly one is ADSL and one is ADSL2+ ??

Niall

Since when have Talk Talk had good CS? I've heard nothing but nightmare reports on them. I know two people that went with them without asking me for advice as they normally do, and they are both having a nightmare at the moment. Customer support even told one of them to format their PC because the router didn't work!
Flickr Deviant art
Art is not a handicraft, it is the transmission of feeling the artist has experienced.
Leo Tolstoy

Rik

I remember Waitrose, back in dial up days, suggesting I re-format my HD to get rid of a virus I didn't have, and was protected against anyway, when I'd just phoned them to let them know my email address was being spoofed. Happy days. :)
Rik
--------------------

This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.