ISPA awards finalists

Started by Noreen, Jan 22, 2008, 11:06:54

Previous topic - Next topic

Rik

Personally, I think it's good. IDNet know they are appreciated by their customers, and an award might produce an influx of the wrong type of customers. IAC, I think awards ceremonies are an utter was of space - self-congratulation has no merit.
Rik
--------------------

This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

Nigel

Yes, I too was surprised to see we were not mentioned. Perhaps they base their figures on size rather than quality. ID Net is so clearly out in front on thinkbroadband (the site where comment from Internet-users really matters) that I'm not in the least bit concerned that we don't feature  ;D

Noreen

Quote from: Rik on Jan 22, 2008, 11:17:19
Personally, I think it's good. IDNet know they are appreciated by their customers, and an award might produce an influx of the wrong type of customers.
I agree with you, Rik.

Noreen

It'll be interesting to see who wins the Best Consumer ISP from those listed as I've just come across the criteria.
http://www.ispaawards.org.uk/categories/BestConsumer.htm

Rik

They are joking, aren't they? I wouldn't have thought any of them could win against those criteria.
Rik
--------------------

Noreen

Yes it's laughable isn't it, especially when you look at those listed. Unfortunately whoever "wins" will no doubt use the fact in it's advertising and entice more people into the fold.

Rik

Limiting the award to those with more then 250,000 customers, when the big ISPs have the bulk of the market already, seems to make the awards even more of a farce.

I think we should stage our own awards evening for IDNet. Categories could include:

The best ISP
The best customer service
The nicest staff
The most responsive ISP

Any more suggestions? :)
Rik
--------------------

MoHux

Quote from: Noreen on Jan 23, 2008, 14:03:56
Yes it's laughable isn't it, especially when you look at those listed. Unfortunately whoever "wins" will no doubt use the fact in it's advertising and entice more people into the fold.

I wonder if it comes under the 'misleading advertising' heading??  ::)
"It's better to say nothing and be thought an idiot - than to open your mouth and remove all doubt."

Rik

Misleading - yes, dishonest - no, it has an award to prove it Mo. :(
Rik
--------------------

Noreen

Leaving aside the spelling >:D I don't understand this, how do they know how many people use the connection?

"Entrants must have over 250,000 users* of their Internet services.

* ISPA defines a "user" as any person using an Internet connection. It does not refer to a "subscribtion" or a "customer" - as one Internet subscribtion will often serve a number of users."

Rik

That should be very interesting to prove, Noreen. Lots of little black boxes going into over-drive...
Rik
--------------------

Dont mention Talk Talk !!

you know the form...............

" and the award for best customer services goes to Talk Talk "

" and the award for best broadband speed goes to Virgin ADSL "

" and the award for overall satisfaction goes to Tiscali "

as usual, award ceremonies , I file under the hogwash category. If they attract the 24/7 heavy user skinflints whingeing over a £9.99 monthly internet bill.............then good luck to them and I hope thats where they go !!

James

Malc

Quote from: Rik on Jan 23, 2008, 14:53:32
Limiting the award to those with more then 250,000 customers, when the big ISPs have the bulk of the market already, seems to make the awards even more of a farce.

I think we should stage our own awards evening for IDNet. Categories could include:

The best ISP
The best customer service
The nicest staff
The most responsive ISP

Any more suggestions? :)

Best ISP forum
Least port blocking
Most pipex refugees

and

most Simon's

Si

Would the stage be big enough for all of us to go up and collect that last award?!
Simon

For the avoidance of confusion I'm not THAT Simon, or the OTHER Simon. :)

Simon

Simon.
--

Lance

Quote from: Noreen on Jan 23, 2008, 17:09:42
Leaving aside the spelling >:D I don't understand this, how do they know how many people use the connection?

"Entrants must have over 250,000 users* of their Internet services.

* ISPA defines a "user" as any person using an Internet connection. It does not refer to a "subscribtion" or a "customer" - as one Internet subscribtion will often serve a number of users."

I have 249,000 users through my connection, does that help? ;D
Lance
_____

Rik

Wow, Lance, you even beat me - I thought I was doing OK selling airspace at £1pm to 245,000 people.  >:D
Rik
--------------------

Lance

Only £1 Rik! I charge £1.50!!!
Lance
_____

Rik

It's a competitive market in MK. ;)
Rik
--------------------

Inactive

I ignore all " Awards " as they are clearly biased and selective by their very nature, and that applies across the board, not just ISP's.

In fact if a company/individual has received a so called " Award " it usually has the opposite effect on me, and I steer well clear.
Anything and everything that I post on here is purely my opinion, it ain't going to change the world, you are under no obligation to agree with me, it is purely my expressed opinion.

Broadback

seems to be a fact that people chosen as business person of the year go tilt within12 months.  Now I know why!  It's Inactive withdrawing his support!  :hehe:
Nothing is perfect, not even my ignorance!

Inactive

Quote from: Broadback on Feb 04, 2008, 11:38:29
.  Now I know why!  It's Inactive withdrawing his support!  :hehe:

:rofl2:
Anything and everything that I post on here is purely my opinion, it ain't going to change the world, you are under no obligation to agree with me, it is purely my expressed opinion.

madasahatter

Quote from: Inactive on Feb 04, 2008, 10:42:24
In fact if a company/individual has received a so called " Award " it usually has the opposite effect on me, and I steer well clear.

I wouldn't go as far as that, but I do think that most awards are mere window dressing so to speak, and don't really mean that much. Nothing like good old fashioned research into a company to find out whether they deserve your brass or not eh?

Ann

I certainly avoid books that have won awards.. it usually means that they are pretentious and unreadable  :(