A funny thing happened on the way to the forum

Started by Rik, Jan 30, 2008, 11:10:05

Previous topic - Next topic

Rik

My router re-synched last night (dropped me back to a 2500 profile :(). What intrigues me, though, is that this happens regularly every 12 days, and the same was true when I was using the Netgear.

I can't think of any cyclical noise in the house which would occur on a 12-day basis, so I believe it's external.

Anyone got any ideas?
Rik
--------------------

This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

Sebby

It's a strange one, Rik. As you may remember, my 2Wire also re-synced after 12 days for no reason (actually, I believe the router rebooted itself). But, I didn't have this problem with my last router (SpeedTouch 585v6).

What's strange in your case is you have the same issue with 2 routers, and different chipsets at that.

Like you say, cyclical noise internally is unlikely, and so the only explanation I can think of is - like you say - something external.

Rik

I'm wondering if something happens at the exchange on a 12-day cycle. Very odd. Still, at least I don't have to worry about the upcoming engineering work ruining my attempt at a longest sync record. :)
Rik
--------------------

Rik

Just to confirm that the router has done another 12-day reboot tonight, this time while I was online. NM was steady at 6db at the time, no apparent trigger. Odd, but replicable.
Rik
--------------------

Sebby

Yep, mine has done it every 12 days without fail, and my stats are rock solid. I've even tried clearing the log before the 12 days.

Rik

Same here, Sebby, I've taken to clearing the log daily, still does it.  ???
Rik
--------------------

Sebby

Bizarre. And I'm not so sure we'll get a new firmware.  :P

Rik

No. Maybe it's time to get hold of a dual SSID?
Rik
--------------------

Simon

Quote from: Rik on Feb 29, 2008, 19:21:27

I've got two here if you want them!   ;D
Simon.
--

Lance

Quote from: Rik on Feb 29, 2008, 19:21:27

Or maybe not as the fact it also happened with the netgear shows it isn't the router. Have we asked idnet if they can think of anything?

Lance
_____

J!ll

Dont mention Talk Talk !!

Quote from: Lance on Feb 29, 2008, 23:13:08
Or maybe not as the fact it also happened with the netgear shows it isn't the router. Have we asked idnet if they can think of anything?

yeah, I did today as its been happening to me too, here is what support mailed me

"I've had a check on your line

The past 14 days history on your exchange shows no record of any
maintenance which would be causing this. This leads me to believe the
dynamic line management in the exchange is attempting to improve your
connection due to the consistency of the drop. However if was to become
more frequent or start causing an issue please let me know and I will
have another look."

what do you make of that ?

James ???

Rik

Rik
--------------------

Dont mention Talk Talk !!

Rik

Rik
--------------------

Lance

Lance
_____

Rik

True. I wonder if Andrew at TB could find anything out?
Rik
--------------------

Sebby

He probably could. He seems to have some good contacts. ;)

LesD

I admit that I cannot see a connection between what is described in this thread with what I am about to post but I will do it anyway just in case anyone else can.

My brother had hourly re-syncs that he could not understand but he has bottomed it out now and explained it to me as follows: (Note his broadband is with BT)

As for the router I have in service I did find out what the on the hour every hour sync was all about.  It is nothing to do with the ADSL line sync, it is VOIP sync for the free broadband phone service that comes with the 8MBit service.  I have a normal DEC phone plugged into the router not a Hub Phone (BT special variant of the Skyp Phone).  I believe that if you have the Hub Phone then it sync's when you press the call button rather than allowing the router to treat it as a dumb device, there must be some software check when you plug the Hub Phone and it's charger stand into the Router using it's special plug and socket.
Regards,

Les.

Sebby

I have zero experience of VoIP, but I don't think that's correct. VoIP uses your broadband connection, so it does not involve any additional sync'ing.

Rik

Rik
--------------------