What router do you use

Started by Rik, Feb 02, 2008, 18:01:10

Previous topic - Next topic

Rik

I'd just like to get a snapshot of what the spread or router brands is amongst members. It will be useful in planning any FAQs etc to have an idea of what most readers are going to be using.

Obviously, the poll can't go down to individual models, but feel free to post with the extra information if you want to. Thanks.
Rik
--------------------

This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

RA-1972

Rik

I just knew I'd missed a brand or two. :( Poll edited, if you'd like to vote.
Rik
--------------------

Si

Simon

For the avoidance of confusion I'm not THAT Simon, or the OTHER Simon. :)

Baz

Philip

Phil123

Malc

Sadly, it's me with the moden ATM

ducky22

DG834GT - performs wonderfully for me! Also hand that there are lots of 'hacked' firmwares around meaning lots of additional functionality for the router.

psp83

Router : Netgear DG834G

Quote from: Baz on Feb 02, 2008, 19:39:46
Netgear DG834PN

How long have you had this router and you noticed any problems with it?

Like, pages loading slow at night for short periods at random times or sometimes not loading until you reboot the router? Wireless encryption problems etc?

JB

Linksys WAG200G. I have two of them, one here and one at my house in Spain.

They used to have a reconnect bug, whereby they wouldn't reconnect if the ADSL line was disconnected. Cured by a firmware upgrade six or so months back.

Very happy now.
JB

'Keyboard not detected ~ Press F1 to continue'

Sebby

2Wire 2700HG here, but previously used a SpeedTouch 585v6.

Simon

Netgear DG834G at the moment, so that was my vote, but I'm hoping to receive a 2Wire that works in the next few days, so I may be changing.
Simon.
--

Baz

Quote from: psp83 on Feb 02, 2008, 20:51:47

Like, pages loading slow at night for short periods at random times or sometimes not loading until you reboot the router? Wireless encryption problems etc?

Ive had it just over a year psp83 and had no probs at all but this is my first router so cant really say whether ive had probs or not. Have never noticed any thing major as you asked about, have only re booted after firmware updates and after having bother with my sons system on the network. maybe getting a bit bother now as he has a ps3 and trying to get that on the ps network is testing, but no nothing major its been very good. got some nice flashing blue lights on to that you can turn on if you get bored  ;D ;D

Baz

psp83

Quote from: Baz on Feb 02, 2008, 23:54:41
Ive had it just over a year psp83 and had no probs at all but this is my first router so cant really say whether ive had probs or not. Have never noticed any thing major as you asked about, have only re booted after firmware updates and after having bother with my sons system on the network. maybe getting a bit bother now as he has a ps3 and trying to get that on the ps network is testing, but no nothing major its been very good. got some nice flashing blue lights on to that you can turn on if you get bored  ;D ;D

Baz

Just keep an eye out with this router, It can be a right pain in the arse.. I had to reboot mine every day (maybe more than once) because it had the random "dont load a website" bug and the wireless range/encryption is alot worse than the DG834G.

jockwav

2700 HGV + i have the DG834GT,but i usually use the 2700 which is better for my long line. ;D

IDNET----Uhuhuh TCB
Moving to corfu march 2011
James

http://gallery.idnet.com/main.php/v/jockwav

scook94

Steven
--------

Nigel

I bought the Zoom X6 having read all the favourable reviews. No regrets, easy to set up and does what it says on the tin. An excellent bit of kit for my requirements.   :)

kerrso05

I also have a Zoom X6......never had anything else so I don't know if anything is better than the Zoom.......Nigel does yours disconnect from time to time?
Mine, I have to shut it down at least once a day for about 15mins
Harry
Bangor, Northern Ireland

Rik

That shouldn't be necessary, Harry. :(
Rik
--------------------

madasahatter

Quote from: psp83 on Feb 02, 2008, 20:51:47

I know this wasn't directed at me, but just to let you know that I've had a Netgear DG834G (v1) for approx three years now, and I've never experienced problems with it - certainly not of the type that you mention there.

Rik

I had an 834G v3 running for a year or so before moving to the 2700. No problems of that sort at all. Might be worth trying some extra ventilation, Paul.
Rik
--------------------

ReDGryphoN

2700 for the World baby !!

Err sry yes I own the fabulous 2700.

Lol

ReD

MAABOF
BILLION 8800NL USER FTTP

If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away.
Henry David Thoreau

old Bill

Lance

My thoughts exactly, bill!
Lance
_____