BT speed tester

Started by shazzy, Feb 05, 2008, 12:09:54

Previous topic - Next topic

shazzy

Anyone know what could cause the bt speedtester to consistantly give out the following error message?

The login name entered on this tool doesnt match that discovered by querying the network for your domain name. Please check your telephone number (or user name) and try again. If problem persists please contact your CP.

I always got it when I was on Nildram also.  I've checked over and over to make sure I'm using the correct login name.  It's very strange.

Rik

What browser are you using, Shazzy. We find that it seems to work better with variants of IE than it does with Firefox, despite what they say. Other than that, is there any chance you've got two phone numbers on the line, eg call sign?
Rik
--------------------

This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

shazzy

I'm using Internet Explorer 7.0.5730.11 

I don't think I've got anything else on the line.  I'll have to check with BT on that.  Thanks for the reply :D

Rik

Dial 17070, Shazzy. That will tell you what number BT has for the line. It's highly unlikely to be different to what you're entering, but as it's the one thing which could have affected both ISPs, it's worth checking. More than likely, the tester is just plain busy, and giving you a misleading message.
Rik
--------------------

shazzy

Thanks for that, it does indeed have the correct number and on logging into my bt call plan there is nothing on the line except 'choose to refuse' which lets me stop 0900 numbers etc, so it must be that it's always busy I think. 

Thanks again. :)

Rik

We've found that, for some people, the only time they can get onto the tester is in the early morning. It is, to put it mildly, a pain!
Rik
--------------------

shazzy

hehe ok I'll try again tomorrow morning.  ;D

Ann

The only other thing is to make sure you are putting the whole of the user name in and not just the first bit as some try to do.

Rik

Rik
--------------------

shazzy

Yer I put the whole lot in, same as the username I put in my router. :)

Rik

That's another thing ruled out then, Shazzy, set your alarm for 4am. ;)
Rik
--------------------

shazzy

Malc

Worked about 11pm for me last night, first time I've managed to run it.

Rik

It's a strange beast is the speed tester, Malc, it seems to work when you least expect it. Makes me think of "Not the Nine o'clock news" and their petrol station knobble button, if you ever saw the sketch.
Rik
--------------------

Malc

I remember Not the 9 o'clock news, but not that sketch.

Isn't that where Mr Bean started >:D

I suppose BT speedtester is a bit like pipex, works for a couple of hours in the night - if your lucky

Rik

Yes, that was Rowan Atkinson's debut. The sketch involved people filling up with an exact value of petrol, eg £5.00. The assistant in the office had a knobble button that juts pushed them over by 1p each time. It appealed to my sense of humour. :)

I generally have no troubles with the BT tester, I often wonder, therefore, if there is some geographical issue which affects it.
Rik
--------------------

Malc

madasahatter

I remember "Not the nine oclock news". That's where Gryf Rhys Jones and Mel Smith started as well isn't it?

Some great entertainment in there - used to love the songs at the end

Rik

Not to mention the lovely Pamela Stephenson. It was a hugely creative series.
Rik
--------------------

madasahatter

Couldn't remember her name - Mrs. Billy Connelly isn't she?

Rik

Rik
--------------------

alan

Quote from: shazzy on Feb 05, 2008, 12:09:54
Anyone know what could cause the bt speedtester to consistantly give out the following error message?

I used to get this also... I found that if I entered the phone number to quickly when the enter phone number screen come up it always showed that error. Now when I enter the my phone number I give it a minute or so before I send it. Same as the when entering the idnet log in screen, wait a minute or so before sending. Worth a try any way.
Alan

Simon

The BT speedtester is a law unto itself.  Perseverance is often the only answer.  ::)
Simon.
--

Rik

You can tell people who use the BT speed tester. They have all grown old prematurely. ;)
Rik
--------------------

Malc

Or grown old waiting