Started by Moley, Feb 06, 2008, 13:50:29

Previous topic - Next topic

Moley

Hi everyone
Impressed with this forum, everyone seems so happy with this ISP.  I've just requested my MAC code from.... guess...... Tiscali.  Reasons obvious.  They admitted to me on the phone that they were restricting bandwith in peak times "in line with fair usage policy".  I don't do a heck of a lot of downloading - just average I think, so pretty unhappy with this.  Speeds in the evenings are 'barely there'.

Quick question - which package to go for?  There seems a big leap from the Home Lite to Home Max.  Never sure which download amount to go for.  I play World of Warcraft (sad but true), use iTunes, bbciplayer and the 4OD service quite a bit, download the odd movie - I'm thinking Home Lite 5GB would be enough? what do you think?  I don't mind paying more, just want a service I can rely on! 

My mother is with BT broadband - are they any better than Tiscali?  If not will send her in this direction also!!

Malc

:welc:

I think it's down to personal needs. All packages are fast and not throttled in any way.

If you use p2p there is no port blocking.

Welcome to the happy place ;D

Simon

Hi Moley, and  :welc:

I would suggest starting off on Home Lite, then if you are consistently going over the 5Gb allowance, it's free to switch to the Max deal, and just a quick phone call would be all that's required.
Simon.
--
This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

Inactive

Hi Moley, Welcome, have a Karma.

What Simon suggests seems to make sense to start with.

:welc: :karmic:
Anything and everything that I post on here is purely my opinion, it ain't going to change the world, you are under no obligation to agree with me, it is purely my expressed opinion.

Rik

Hi Moley

Make that a 'me too' - welcome to the forum.

Are you using a single machine? If so, you could assess your usage with something like Netmeter. IAC, with IDNet you can check your usage at an time on your accounts page, or sign up to a daily RSS feed of usage and projected total for the month. In addition, IDNet will advise you by email if they think you might exceed your limit.
Rik
--------------------

Moley

2 PCs, 3 laptops, and various Xbox's etc - all connected wireless apart from the PCs.  2 older teenagers using myspace and goodness knows what else  :o  Will go for the lite and upgrade later if it proves inadequate!  Looking forward to having the better service!!  Requested the MAC code this morning.... 5 days and counting.

Thanks for the warm welcome and the karma - what's that all about  ???

Inactive

Quote from: Moley on Feb 06, 2008, 14:51:43

Thanks for the warm welcome and the karma - what's that all about  ???

Just a Forum way of sort of thanking people, it shows up on your post count box.
Anything and everything that I post on here is purely my opinion, it ain't going to change the world, you are under no obligation to agree with me, it is purely my expressed opinion.

Rik

Hi Moley

It's our way of saying "welcome", or "thanks", or "that gave me a good laugh" etc. You'll see the option to give karma once you reach 10 posts, under a poster's name at the left of the screen.
Rik
--------------------

Moley

Blimey - requested MAC from Tiscali this morning and it just arrived - you'd think they want me off their hands before I tell people..... ::)

Just signed up for the Home Lite  ;D Can't wait

Rik

When you arrive, you'll realise why people are so happy here - it just works. :)
Rik
--------------------

Inactive

Rik

Oh joy, Ofcom rides again.  :sigh:
Rik
--------------------

cavillas

When it comes to teenagers then bandwidth will never seem enough. ;D
------
Alf :)

madasahatter

Quote from: Inactive on Feb 06, 2008, 16:02:47
Just in time by the look of things...well done.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/02/06/llu_bt_tiscali_ofcom/

Nothing surpprises me about the big T anymore. There were always constant complaints on the forums that Tiscali had informed them of "engineering works at the exchange", only to find out that their connection afterwards was worse than before, and that the work was, in fact, being put on Tiscali LLU (without their consent or knowledge). If I remember rightly, Plusnet signed up with tiscali LLU and started doing the same until there was a huge outcry about it because of the problems it was causing.

Nigel

You won't regret moving here. I migrated to IDNet a few weeks ago and haven't regretted it for one second. BTW it took two days from signing up with IDNet to going active. Welcome to this superb ISP  ;D

Philip

Holy Moley  ;D sorry, it had to be done  :back:

Welcome to the forum and hopefully IDNet  ;)

Sebby

Welcome! :welc:

I think Home Max will probably do you fine. You can move beween Home PAYG, Home Lite, and Home Max free of charge if you find one will suit you better.

You'll realise what you've been missing when you join. :)

Moley

Well its official - am now a member of IDNET!!  It will go active on 12th apparently  ;D  Signed up for the lite and notice you can have a RSS feed to tell you how much you're using so that will give me an idea if its not going to be enough!!  It all seems totally wonderful!!

Thanks again all for the warm welcome!
:ty: :solved:

Gotta love those smileys!!

Rik

Hi Moley

If it ever looks like you will exceed your limit, IDNet will send you an advisory email too.

Look forward to seeing you in happy land next Tuesday. :)
Rik
--------------------

Malc

Si

Quote from: Moley on Feb 07, 2008, 13:31:26
Well its official - am now a member of IDNET!!  It will go active on 12th apparently  ;D  Signed up for the lite and notice you can have a RSS feed to tell you how much you're using so that will give me an idea if its not going to be enough!!  It all seems totally wonderful!!

Thanks again all for the warm welcome!
:ty: :solved:

Gotta love those smileys!!

Welcome! I signed up for Lite initially as well. After three days of revelling in unheard-of speeds, downloading and streaming like nobody's business I've already asked to upgrade to Max! Dropped IDNet a line on Tuesday night, and by 9:30am Wednesday had confirmation my package was changed. Marvellous!
Simon

For the avoidance of confusion I'm not THAT Simon, or the OTHER Simon. :)

Rik

I must have a word with Simon D - that's dreadfully slow. ;)
Rik
--------------------

merlin

it was slow because he was busy eating , well someone had to mention food all those posts, and not a word !!!!

Rik

:karmic:

Good point, Merlin.
Rik
--------------------

madasahatter

Quote from: merlin on Feb 07, 2008, 15:49:38
it was slow because he was busy eating , well someone had to mention food all those posts, and not a word !!!!

Don't - you're making me hungry - it's at least 3 hours since I had that BMT from subway.