Yet another speed topic!

Started by Cookiemonster, Feb 23, 2008, 20:44:43

Previous topic - Next topic

Cookiemonster

Sorry guys for starting another topic but i really didn't want to hijack anybody Else's speed issue topic. I have been experiencing some rather poor speeds today, all day as a matter of fact, this is my current  BT speedtest:

Test1 comprises of Best Effort Test:  -provides background information.
    IP profile for your line is - 6500 kbps
    DSL connection rate: 832 kbps(UP-STREAM)  8128 kbps(DOWN-STREAM)
    Actual IP throughput achieved during the test was - 1931 kbps

Here are my router stats:

ADSL Link                    Downstream     Upstream
Connection Speed         8128 kbps         832 kbps
Line Attenuation           24 db               6 db
Noise Margin                5 db                 11 db

As you can see everything seems normal so i don't know whether to just put it down to exchange congestion or something else?

Rik

Hi Steve

Your profile appears to be playing catch-up with your sync speed, so I wonder if some of the throughput issue stems from that. However, 1931 is more appropriate to a 2000 profile than a 6500 one, or the 7150 you should move to.

Remind me which router you have, will you, I'm wondering whether you have a high error count on the line.

Ultimately, I think you're going to need to talk to support because, with a maximum sync and no stuck profile, they are going to have to test the line for a clue as to what's happening. At the same time, they will be able to get accurate data on the status of your exchange, because clearly congestion there has to be another possibility - though as you are on SuperMax, you should be getting priority at that point.
Rik
--------------------

This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

Sebby

The profile isn't quite right, but that aside, your throughput is not right for a 6,500k profile. We've seen another case of this today, and I believe that the best thing to do is contact support. There's certainly nothing that appears to be wrong (other than the profile not having caught up yet).

Let us know how you get on. :)

Cookiemonster

Quote from: Rik on Feb 23, 2008, 22:03:16
Hi Steve

Your profile appears to be playing catch-up with your sync speed, so I wonder if some of the throughput issue stems from that. However, 1931 is more appropriate to a 2000 profile than a 6500 one, or the 7150 you should move to.

Remind me which router you have, will you, I'm wondering whether you have a high error count on the line.

Ultimately, I think you're going to need to talk to support because, with a maximum sync and no stuck profile, they are going to have to test the line for a clue as to what's happening. At the same time, they will be able to get accurate data on the status of your exchange, because clearly congestion there has to be another possibility - though as you are on SuperMax, you should be getting priority at that point.

Cheers for that Rik. Well I'm on a Netgear DG834G Router. As for finding out my error count i haven't the foggiest, could you point me in the right direction? This issue with speed has only started today, from the day i migrated it's been fantastic so i hope i can narrow down the source!

Rik

Hi Steve

To get at your error stats, enter this in the browser address bar:

http://192.168.0.1/setup.cgi?todo=debug

which should result in a screen which just says 'Debug enable'.
(That's assuming that you haven't changed the router's IP address from the default).

Then exit from the web interface and open a command-line window. Type:

telnet 192.168.0.1

You should get a BusyBox welcome message to confirm that your telnet connection is established.

Now type:

cat /proc/avalanche/avsar_modem_stats

You'll see a mass of stats, which will include two sub headings, Fast Path and Interleaved. The error count will be in one of those two groups.
Rik
--------------------

Cookiemonster

OK it says the following:

Downstream:
CRC: 8321 FEC: 0

Upstream:
CRC: 210  FEC:408  HEC: 68

Does that help? As makes no sense to me! :whistle:

Rik

Was that under fast path or interleaved, and how long had the router been 'up'?
Rik
--------------------

Cookiemonster

Quote from: Rik on Feb 23, 2008, 23:28:16
Was that under fast path or interleaved, and how long had the router been 'up'?

Under fast path mate and the Router has been active for 45 hours!

Rik

Nothing to worry about there the, you don't have interleaving on, and you have an error rate of about 3/minute, which is trivial. :)
Rik
--------------------

Cookiemonster

Oh well cheers for the help, I'm going to give it till start next week and see if there are any improvements if not I'll get in contact with Tech support.

Rik

You'll find they will get to the root of this as quickly as possible, try and have a few BT speed tests to give to them, it helps. :)
Rik
--------------------

Cookiemonster

Yeah i shall do a few more! Well infact just did one before bed and its up slightly but still doesn't look right:

Actual IP throughput achieved during the test was - 4046 kbps

Rik

Something is wrong - sadly I don't know what. Talk to support on Monday and they'll kick the tyres for you.
Rik
--------------------

Sebby

Quote from: jester212 on Feb 23, 2008, 23:53:23
Yeah i shall do a few more! Well infact just did one before bed and its up slightly but still doesn't look right:

Actual IP throughput achieved during the test was - 4046 kbps

To be honest, even that's low. You shouldn't be seeing a throughput that low, unless there's exchange congestion (which, in my experience, doesn't have a great impact anyway). Support will see you're alright. :)

Rik

What particularly bothers me, Sebby, is that Steve is on SuperMax and so should be getting priority at the exchange. :(
Rik
--------------------

Sebby

Ah, yes, so he should. But, that said, I really don't think this is simply a case of exchange congestion anyway; there must be something more to it...

Rik

I agree, but the SuperMax makes it worse, if you know what I mean. :)
Rik
--------------------