Should be joining you by Friday 29 Feb

Started by Mazio40, Feb 28, 2008, 19:21:24

Previous topic - Next topic

Mazio40

Hi just need a little advice really.
I have a Dlink DSL-2640B wireless router is there any known issues with this model as I cant find any reference on the forum with this model. I have all the info to change, basically its just my user name and password (I think) dont know how to check for CHAP though. Is it wise to leave the router on all the time as this is how I use it because of the kids or should I switch it off tonight.

Rik

Hi Mazio

Welcome to the forum, have a karma. :)  :welc: :karmic:

I'm dealing with a D-Link enquiry at the moment, as it happens, but we don't seem to have too many of them, the 2700 and the Netgear DG834 dominate.

Leave the router on. Most migrations happen in the small hours, so just check whether your IDNet login works in the morning. (You'll receive an email when it goes live, but there's usually a period during which you can log in to either iSP). Assuming you;re not coming from LLU, the settings are the same except for the username and password. Treat the IP address as a dynamic one that doesn't change and let the router pick it up automatically, ditto the DNS servers. Use an MTU of 1500 in the router, and adjust in Windows if you need to, most of us find that 1500 or 1458 work well.

Not sure about the CHAP query? What do you want to check?
Rik
--------------------

This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

Sebby

:welc: :karmic:

Basically as Rik says. I've never been a big fan of D-Link routers, but see how it behaves; if it works okay, then there's no reason to change. If it gives you trouble, then we can make some suggestions as far as routers that work well on max go. :)

Mazio40

Thanx Rik & Sebby. CHAP Authentication I cant find any reference for this in my Dlink setup Iam assuming its a standard setting and no Iam not LLU from this exchange.

Sebby

You shouldn't need to change anything apart from the username and password if you're not currently LLU'd.

Lance

Lance
_____

plugwash

according to appendix C in
ftp://ftp.dlink.co.uk/dsl_routers_modems/dsl-2640b/DSL-2640B_Manual_v1.pdf
your router supports chap (I don't think i've ever seen a router that didn't but I checked just to be sure)

note: there seem to be two different versions of the manual for that router on dlinks ftp both claiming to be versions 1.0 of the manual but one of them is missing the techinical sepecifications appendix.

Mazio40

Rik

Basically, CHAP should just happen, Mazio, once you enter the correct login details. :)
Rik
--------------------

Mazio40

OK I am up and running thanx allot for all your help. I haven't changed any other settings yet or checked speed will do that soon just glad to have good reliable Internet connection and email that works at the moment.

Rik

Quote from: Mazio40 on Feb 29, 2008, 06:22:04
email that works at the moment.

At the moment!! Pessimist.  :eek4: It always works.  ;D :legpull:

Glad all went well. :)
Rik
--------------------

Inactive

Welcome aboard Mazio, have a Karma.

:welc: :karmic: :thumb:
Anything and everything that I post on here is purely my opinion, it ain't going to change the world, you are under no obligation to agree with me, it is purely my expressed opinion.

RA-1972

Ray

Ray
--------------------

Mazio40

Thanx allot for all your help and info  :thumb:.
I didn't mean this email account I was referring to my previous provider  :mad:.

Rik

You'll get used to us, Maz, leave a leg to be pulled and we'll always oblige. ;)
Rik
--------------------