Amateur Radio and ADSL

Started by Dangerjunkie, Mar 11, 2008, 18:57:08

Previous topic - Next topic

Dangerjunkie

Hi everyone,

I'm wondering if there are any other Radio Amateurs on IDNet.

I'm new to ADSL (I've previously only been on cable.) My shack is in my office (as will be my master socket and modem.) I'm active on HF (160m-10m), 2m and 70cm. I'm hoping there won't be huge problems with ADSL interfering with my radios. I'm however more than prepared to believe that 100W of HF will cause wailing and gnashing of teeth in ADSL or modem-land.

I'm choosing my modem now. The contenders at the moment are the Netgear DG834G (with NAT and DHCP turned off), the ADSL Nation X3 and the Draytek Vigor 100 (I have my own dedicated firewall.) I'm intending to also get an ADSL Nation XTE-2005 filter which will be close to the modem (about 1m of cable)

Does anybody have any experiences they could share on how likely there is to be interaction between my radios and ADSL, how to minimise it and any modems that fair particularly well/badly?

Thanks,
Paul.

Rik

There's at least two Hams who are members, DJ, but I haven't seen either of them in lately. March 3 and Feb 25 were their last visits.
Rik
--------------------

This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

thetrevone

Just to let you know there are at least 3, My call sign is G8IKA but I have not been active for some years but always kept up the licence. I never did get around to doing the Morse Code, so 2m only. I used to work at KW electronics many moons ago (for those who remember some British made kit).
Regards
Doug

Rik

I knew there would be others, previously undeclared. :)
Rik
--------------------

thetrevone

:blush: it takes a lot for some of us to own up to such things in public.
Regards
Doug

Rik

Rik
--------------------

thetrevone

thank you kind sir.
Regards
Doug