Could I have a diagnosis please on stats

Started by David, Apr 01, 2008, 23:11:24

Previous topic - Next topic

David

Groan,I have been rooting around so to speak and Im stuck on the  stats I have just got from my router Netgear 834G.plugged into faceplate filter,Could someone let me know what this indicate,in plain english

connection speed down 6848
connection speed up       448
attenuation          down 44db
                           up    11.5db
noise magin            down    0db
                               up   25db

I have tried by reading past post to try and give me an example of these figure and try and work them out,been reading kitz etc still none the wiser.

Can anyone  deduce anything amiss here. :thnks:

Many hammer all over the wall and believe that with each blow they hit the nail on the head.

Simon

I don't see how you can have a zero noise margin, but I'm not the best one to comment, David.  Your connection speeds looks great though!  :)
Simon.
--
This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

Lance

simon is right to pick up on the zero noise margin. It shows that you are on the brink of a resync caused by more noise being around this time of night. The fact the you are plugged into a filtered face plate shows the noise is most likely external to your house's wiring.

I would expect you to resync soon which will give you a lower sync, but hopefully a noise margin of 6.
Lance
_____

Sebby

You can have a zero noise margin, and they are especially common on the AR7-based Netgears. They seem to be able to hold sync when the noise margin goes negative, too, even though that's technically impossible.

Otherwise, the stats look good; the sync is good for the attenuation.

My advice would be this: if you're not suffering from re-syncs, don't worry. If you are, consider changing the router to something that doesn't have an AR7 chipset. That could be the new Netgear DG834G v4 or the SpeedTouch 585v6, for example. Both should give a more solid set of stats. But like I say, there's no need if you don't have any problems at the moment. :)

David

Thanks.don't seem to have problem apart form the  old chestnut fluctuating speed at time of taking the stats and considering it was late  down 1716.58  up 0.3 taken at 23.26 which might be me but seems on the slow side no other pcs.running.

I am assuming that the stats are related to signal being sent to my pc and not a reflection of actual speeds my pc would run at as the bear little or no relation to each other in this respect.

Have only had a couple if disconnections I will take another look.
As you know I am trying to get to grips with all this stuff and reading various sites to try and bone up on this.

Would a modem be a better option.just a little disappointed at the seemingly low speeds and the up speed seems a little slow,but this is only me and I am not that up on this

Thanks guys :thumb:

Many hammer all over the wall and believe that with each blow they hit the nail on the head.

Rik

A modem would probably be worse, if anything, David.

Your sync speed is fine for your attenuation, so what you need to do is get a BT speed test and see what your profile is.

http://test.speedtester.bt.com:50301/
Rik
--------------------

David

Morning Rik trying daily but still get the same error message,one cant recognize my telephone number on the data base.
I as you know have been happily waiting and wouldn't take any notice its just it slows enough for me to notice it and I know we have spoken about contention, but the times seem odd to me as I would expect a slowdown at busy times  but this does not appear to be the case,knowing me I have it wrong.

I did modify the original posts but I was looking at previous issue concerning speed,only to try and give myself a yardstick although of course all case are different but I was seeking to get a norm if you like and to compare stats but it proved rather fruitless.

The profile which I did try to find out more I assume is only related to Bt  so to try and give me a guide I ran speed test several times over 4 different sites and although speed results varied they gave a good indication of an average if that makes sense

Rik

Have a word with support, David, they may be able to see the profile from their side. It's difficult to judge what's going on without knowing the profile, as that determines your throughput ceiling. Once we know that, we have something to measure against.
Rik
--------------------

David

Will do Rik.in your opinion does it seem to be ok,or put it another way if this applied in your case would you be concerned?

Rik

The router stats look fine, David, roughly twice the speed I get. OTOH, on a 3000 profile, I get consistent speeds at almost any time of day, c.2700k.
Rik
--------------------

David

Thanks Rik,cheques in the post.(don't charge extra for this  method do you) ;)

Rik

No, though i usually prefer cash in non-sequential notes. ;)
Rik
--------------------

David

Just sending over 50 million rand.

Have just spoken with James and my profile (set at their end rather than Bt) is set at 6mg and went through the points which I have semi covered I will carry out some diagnostic checks here first which will include testing with the modem to see if this makes any difference.

I have tested with security off and makes no difference so can rule this out.one thing,probably nothing whilst I was looking through the settings on the router I did note that always block pages is ticked although non are listed so

James has said if I cant get things to improve he can get bt to check but this takes time. which I dont mind but I have to diagnose this end would the router be your first port of call ?

Rik

Hi David

Are you connecting wirelessly now? I thought you had a cabled connection to the router? If the latter, security won't affect speed one way or another. Try the modem by all means, but I don't think the router will be the primary cause of your problems, though it might add to them. Remember not to disconnect too frequently, as the BT equipment can see this as instability.
Rik
--------------------

David

Thanks Rik.I have been wireless from day 1 and for a brief times the speeds were reporting back very fast.I have done most things I think to try and trace this.even ran a full virus check,just eliminating things.
The router is never turned off so there should be no signs of this.I did reboot it in the first week or so but that was because had page cannot be displayed but I didn't think anything because it was early on in the settling down period and had no other disconnections.

If I cant discover a problem here James has said to get back to him and he will twist an arm here and there.well not in this words..

Ok here we go wheres the valium

David

Just a thought Rik would connecting the Ethernet cable help rather than the modem as I'm not keen  on the first option either

Rik

Using ethernet eliminate two possible causes of slowdown, David. First, the chance that someone nearby is on the same channel and causing interference, second, that the encryption is having an impact on throughput (this shouldn't be the case, but elimination is always a good idea).
Rik
--------------------

David

bit of a dumb question,just about to connect Ethernet cable do I remove the router modem plug first?

Rik

It depends what you mean by that, David. There's no need to power down, just hot plug the ethernet cable into the computer then router.
Rik
--------------------

David

I dont want to get too optimistic Rik,but I am hopeful have carried out speedtests on 3 difffernent sites and the results are amazing

All been tested twice and all big changes from what I have been seeing  Talk broadband
Down 5459
up     378.26

BMax  Down 5587
         Up 380

And the router has come to life,but to be fair I would nt have noticed as it is in another room usually and Wendy would not take any notice.

Any assumptions? I note that for the first time the upstream has increased having run over different sites,I am confident that there is a marked increase.looks to have doubled

Also used the Tiscali speedtester and that too showed 5.7

Rik

The speeds look right for your profile, David, so if the only difference is changing from wireless to ethernet it suggests that there's some sort of problem with the former.
Rik
--------------------

David

Don t get technical,you know I'm under medication.do you mean it is the wireless connectivity which is the problem ie I need a new router. ???

Rik

Correct me if I'm wrong, David, but these good results were obtained when using a cabled connection rather than a wireless one?

If so, it would imply that the speed problems are resulting from your use of wireless. This could be down to interference, poor signal, a faulty router or a faulty wireless adaptor in the PC (or a combination of these things). What signal strength and speed did you see at the PC?
Rik
--------------------

David

Hi Rik,I have run even more tests over other sites and they all concur.
It has been wireless since day one and speeds never great lucky to get 2mg
After connecting to Ethernet cable (even in extension) the speeds have doubled near enough.
The connection to the receiver has always shown excellent.
As this router  came off Ebay and is the 834G this looks like it could have been the culprit all along.
There is nothing in the wireless route,ie the space from the router to the pc is approx 20 foot with one wall in the path but reception  as I say is excellent.

No radios or electrical equipment is in its way and no mobile phones are ever used in the home.my niehgbour is a very old lady who has no pc related stuff and that goes for near enough anyone close to me.I live close to a nature reserve so no housing there.hope this covers your points

David

Just one more thing Rik the adapters are new they did not come with the router so can rule these out these were brand new in box