The arguments have started....

Started by madasahatter, Apr 02, 2008, 03:31:28

Previous topic - Next topic

madasahatter

Simon

I thought it had already been decided that it is.  :dunno:
Simon.
--
This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

madasahatter

Maybe could have worded that better Simon - maybe it was the trials already carried out (without consent from the punters) that could be challenged. they have admitted to 2 secret trials - how many more did they do?

Under the Regulation of Investigatory Powers Act 2000 (RIPA), intercepting Internet traffic without a warrant or consent is considered an offence, so they have clearly gone against that, and will continue to do so if they go for the "opt out" method of conscription rather than "opt in".

This bit did amuse me though:

"both companies have said the technology complies with UK law as customers have to give informed consent to use the technology.

BT has said that customers will be issued with amended terms and conditions before any eventual roll out of the technology. "

The peeps in the trial certainly didn't give informed consent - where were BTs "amended terms and conditions" for them?

I really really hope that some of those very peeps band together and give BT a right royal kick up the backside. :)

Rik

As far as I can tell, the trials were illegal under RIPA as there was no consultation or consent, in fact BT say they didn't tell people deliberately. I would love to see that come to court.
Rik
--------------------

madasahatter

Quote from: Rik on Apr 02, 2008, 08:50:21
I would love to see that come to court.

Me too - it's time the high and mighty BT was taken down a peg or three... >:(

Rik

Maybe we should all write to our MPs. I'm sure they'd like to divert attention from themselves.  >:D
Rik
--------------------

madasahatter

On the other hand, they wouldn't want to upset big business would they?

Rik

That depends on how much interest we are taking in their expenses at the time. :)
Rik
--------------------

madasahatter

Good thinking Batman - right - let's do some digging  ;D

Rik

Pass me that FoIA application form. ;D
Rik
--------------------

Rik

If you want to watch some good squirming, then:

http://www.channel4.com/news/articles/science_technology/bt+spies+on+customers/1933047

Emma Sanderson being interviewed on Channel 4.  ;D
Rik
--------------------

madasahatter

:rofl:

priceless

errr  errrrm errrrrrr  ;D

Inactive

Pathetic, I bet she is on over a £100,000 a year. :rant2:
Anything and everything that I post on here is purely my opinion, it ain't going to change the world, you are under no obligation to agree with me, it is purely my expressed opinion.

Rik

She'll be promoted after that performance!  ::)
Rik
--------------------

Inactive

Surely BT could have found a credible individual for an interview amongst their masses.

Erm er erm er  ;D
Anything and everything that I post on here is purely my opinion, it ain't going to change the world, you are under no obligation to agree with me, it is purely my expressed opinion.

Rik

Rik
--------------------

Inactive

Probably Rik, dam fine washing powder as well..  ;D

Rik

;D

Amazing stuff, that white powder...
Rik
--------------------

Inactive

Rik

I know. It's when I remember all the words to the Pepsodent jingle I really begin to feel it.  :'(
Rik
--------------------

Inactive

Rik

Rik
--------------------

Inactive

Can't remember that one in total, just beats as it sweeps as it cleans..  ;)

Rik

That's the bit I remember too - odd how one sticks in the entirety, the other only partially. OTOH, both have stuck with us for the best part of 50 years, which is probably longer than any modern ad will.
Rik
--------------------

Simon

Strangely, the interview seems to have disappeared.
Simon.
--