Slow speeds today

Started by wolverene, Oct 23, 2006, 13:46:54

Previous topic - Next topic

wolverene

Hi all, is anybody suffering slooow speeds today? I`m only on a 1 mb line- Attn 63.5 and SNR 15.5, but usually manage d/l of 950 - 980kbps, but today on 3 BT tests have got 298,350 and 375. On another site I got 198 down and only 71kbps up. Could this be contention or is my line about to die?. Recently (3 or 4 weeks back) had engineers down and they connected me up to a new pair of wires coming from the roadside box as I was getting a reading of 1kbps down on their equipment- the wonderful CS team had got onto BT and obviously said the right thing as previously with my old ISP I`d been waiting for 10 days only to be told it was an intermittent fault so was impossible to fix!. As luck would have it I was about to ask to go onto Max DSL, as I`d tried it with PN and asked to be put back onto std DSL due to loads of trouble, but now I`m wondering to try it again or not. Rather have 950+ than slower + problems.
Cheers
Keith ???

Nerval

Speeds are normal here, for what it's worth. :banana2:

wolverene

Got as slow as 116 kbps so checked my sons PC and he had Bear Share running a download, so kicked him off that and rebooted everything and back up to 980 now. Lesson to be learnt for the future methinks.
Regards

quandam

wolverene

I have experienced significantly lower speeds since around 12 noon today. Hopefully they will return to normal soon?

wolverene

Hey Quandam, 12 noon was about the time I got slow speeds but as I said above I`m pretty sure it was Bear Share my son had left to download. Switched that off and then rebooted both systems ( we run a home network) and hey presto back up tp 980kbps. You might have already tried the reboot but have your speeds gone back up. Reboot might have been a coincidence?
regards
Keith

Nerval

Sounds like wolverene's son is now running bearshare on quandam's machine, having been kicked off his dad's. :banana2:

maxping

sobranie

Bit sluggish here in Cornwall today.
The exchange is red too!
Sitting tight for improvements!

Nerval

Have a karma sobranie for not blaming the ISP!! :banana2:

MoHux

I think the kids are off school ...... half-term??  ::) ::)
"It's better to say nothing and be thought an idiot - than to open your mouth and remove all doubt."

Philip

no problems in Penzance

MoHux

Or in Torbay ..... now the kids everywhere are all going to bed!! (Half-term)

;D

Edit; How come London is ~50mls from Penzance, but ~100mls from Torbay (S.Devon)  :o
"It's better to say nothing and be thought an idiot - than to open your mouth and remove all doubt."

wolverene

wolverene

Spoke too soon earlier on today cause my spped dropped so much that I coulnt use any Speed Test site ie.not registering anything. Cant blame my boy this time as his PC is switched off and only just got back to speed after having to reboot the router again, very strange this as line has been fine for previous six hrs or so. Any ideas guys?

maxping

Sign up here and keep an eye on your connection , it helps CS if you email it to them. http://www.l8nc.com/

wolverene

Cheers Max, have signed up and waiting for email to confirm. As I said in my original post it might be latency tho I would have thought it should have played up all evening
in that case. ???

drummer

Quote from: MoHux on Oct 23, 2006, 20:59:20
I think the kids are off school ...... half-term??  ::) ::)
My guess is this is the likely culprit.  Pesky kids...
To stay is death but to flee is life.

wolverene

Hey Quandam, any improvement at your end. I`ve not been able to see if the slowdown occurred today but as MoHux suggested, might just be half term kicking in- bless the little darlings.
Regards

sallyandjames

Quote from: sobraineThe exchange is red too!

Apparently from the latest update 50% of exchanges around the country have red VP Statuses ATM.
Not good news for lots of folks.  :(

wolverene

Yeh just come online and things were really slow - kicked of at 600kbps then dropped steadily down to 74kbps then crept back up to 720 on speedtest.net. Rebooted and now running in the 950 +. Cor its like being on Max but not being on Max if you see what I mean. Checked stats on my exchange, Staines, and BT had scheduled for work to be done to overcome the contention to be carried out on 12 October. Hope this isnt the end result. >:(

sobranie

Quote from: Nerval on Oct 23, 2006, 20:23:23
Have a karma sobranie for not blaming the ISP!! :banana2:

Gee thanks, can we eventually swop all these k points for beer tokens?  ;D ;D

Nerval

Not if you're in a student bar, it seems.  :banana2:

sallyandjames

Is there a league table anywhere to see who has the highest K score?

@Nerval seems to be flying high - is anybody higher?

Nerval

it's the meowing cat that does it.

sallyandjames

I heard that the one with the higest K points has to buy the beers come Xmas - is that true?