deep packet inspection

Started by somanyholes, Apr 07, 2008, 07:54:49

Previous topic - Next topic

somanyholes

http://www.internetevolution.com/document.asp?doc_id=148803&; an indepth look at the failings of deep packet inspection, and the issues is causes on leggit traffic.

Rik

The mention of speeds of 950Mbps started me salivating. :) Useful read, thanks.  :thumb: :karma:
Rik
--------------------

This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

somanyholes

please make sure all idnet management bods read it rik  >:D lol

just make sure they don't install it

Rik

Rik
--------------------

This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

madasahatter

interesting read that mate  :thumb:

Amusing how only 2 suppliers allowed publication though - obviously the others either didn't think their product was up to the mark in the first place, or it failed miserably.  ;D

Also interesting was to see the effects on different protocols - and the effect that full encryption had on the detection abilities  ;)

Danni

That was cetainly an interesting read. I just get a little scared when I think of ISPs snooping on my traffic.
IDNet Customer (ex-partner's name): 6th January 2006 - 23rd March 2007
IDNet broadband Customer (my name): 11th June 2008 - 21st April 2010

Now with Be for internets, IDNet for phone.

madasahatter

Yep - but it all depends on what they do with any information that these boxes provide????

somanyholes

only two companies really does sum it up. I think we can liken deep packet inspection to spam filtering in many ways, very hit and miss, but at least with spam filters you have control, where as with this you don't as it would defeat the point of the object.

and how do they really handle leggit p2p umm ......

madasahatter

Quote from: somanyholes on Apr 08, 2008, 08:12:32
and how do they really handle leggit p2p umm ......

Funny how they don't even talk about that innit?  >:D

somanyholes

Gary

Quote from: madasahatter on Apr 07, 2008, 20:08:43
Yep - but it all depends on what they do with any information that these boxes provide????
Well George Bush would love to have his hands on it primarily to see if we are all supposed terrorists, I post pictures on a forum that indicate my moods and humour, and I would hate to see the list of search terms I have used  >:D 
Damned, if you do damned if you don't

madasahatter

:lol:

You'll be first against the wall Gary  ;D