PayPal problems - mysterious Skype charges

Started by Rik, Jun 13, 2008, 15:40:25

Previous topic - Next topic

Rik

El Reg is reporting a possible scam, "Vulture Central is keeping its eyes peeled for some sort of PayPal glitch or security breach, following reader reports their accounts were debited overnight to pay for Skype services they never ordered.

Both readers are UK residents and longtime PayPal users. Both logged in yesterday to find their accounts had been charged to secure accounts with Skype.

"I doubt it's a phishing attack," reader Neil Lucock writes. "I download all email to a Linux box, don't view mail as html, don't click on links unless I've looked at the code to see where I'm going and turn the machine off unless I'm using it."

And yet there he was staring at five charges for £11.50 that were made the previous night, while his computer was switched off."
Rik
--------------------

This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

Inactive

Thanks Rik, ( rushes off to check Paypal A/C. ) ;)
Anything and everything that I post on here is purely my opinion, it ain't going to change the world, you are under no obligation to agree with me, it is purely my expressed opinion.

Sebby

Rik

Probably not too differently to all the others. I'm becoming a tad paranoid about online payments.
Rik
--------------------

Sebby

Rik

Rik
--------------------

Sebby

Niall

You can bet any amount of money that Paypal won't admit to being in the wrong if it turns out to be a fault of theirs. They'd rather blame everyone else for misuse and people falling for scams; the main reason I don't use them at all. Ever.
Flickr Deviant art
Art is not a handicraft, it is the transmission of feeling the artist has experienced.
Leo Tolstoy

somanyholes

has anyone here used the paypal virtual debit card, that is one time use only? It looks pretty good, and would solve a lot of problems from what I can see. If you haven't heard of it more info available here

http://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=xpt/cps/account/VDCFrequentlyAskedQuestions-outside

Sebby

Rik

Quote from: somanyholes on Jun 18, 2008, 07:51:23
has anyone here used the paypal virtual debit card, that is one time use only? It looks pretty good, and would solve a lot of problems from what I can see. If you haven't heard of it more info available here

http://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=xpt/cps/account/VDCFrequentlyAskedQuestions-outside

Nice find, So.  :thumb:

The only problem I see is this clause:

"When you install PayPal Virtual Debit Card, you'll be asked to choose your bank account, PayPal Buyer Credit, or PayPal Plus Credit Card as a Backup Funding source. If you do not have any money in your PayPal balance, PayPal Virtual Debit Card will withdraw the funds needed to complete a transaction from your Backup Funding source."

That would leave you liable with your bank for any losses.
Rik
--------------------

Simon

Not if you use a credit card, would it?
Simon.
--

Rik

I presume you would get away with it on a CC, but after recent events, I'm a little cautious.
Rik
--------------------

Simon

Perhaps naively, I feel slightly safer making payments though PayPal, where available on websites.  I guess it's because I'm not giving direct access to my card details.
Simon.
--

Rik

OTOH, if you give PayPal unfettered access to your card...  :(
Rik
--------------------

Simon

I can't see how one could 'fetter' it.  They either have access or not.  Personally, I've never had an issue with PayPal.
Simon.
--

Rik

That must mean giving them a CCA though, something i never do.
Rik
--------------------

Simon

Yes, I suppose it does, but otherwise, you have to use a bank account, and we're back to it being your money, rather than the bank's,
Simon.
--

Rik

Rik
--------------------

Simon

Indeed not, but I would find it very hard to do without online shopping now.
Simon.
--

Sebby

Rik

Me neither, but I am increasingly wary. :(
Rik
--------------------

Simon

It's getting past the stages of 'once bitten...', when you've been 'bitten' three or four times.

As an aside, I was musing today, and wondering which is actually safer - the retailers that store your card in a database, so that you don't have to enter it each time, or those that don't.  Are your card details safer in a database, than traversing over t'internet each time?
Simon.
--

Sebby

talos2

I think leave it with them, if you have a problem you know where to start looking, but if you send fresh every time you take the same risk of skimming every time, with no trail to follow, and of course the odds get shorter :eek4:
EX Orange and proud of it.