Europe votes on anti-piracy laws

Started by somanyholes, Jul 09, 2008, 11:05:48

Previous topic - Next topic

somanyholes

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/7492907.stm

"Other amendments added to the packet of laws allow governments to decide which software can be used on the web. "

"The Foundation for a Free Internet Infrastructure (FFII) warned that if the amendments were accepted they would create a "Soviet internet" on which only software and services approved by governments would be allowed to run.

"Tomorrow, popular software applications like Skype or even Firefox might be declared illegal in Europe if they are not certified by an administrative authority," warned Benjamin Henrion, FFII representative in Brussels, in a statement.

"This is compromising the whole open development of the internet as we know it today," he said. "

Gary

The internet is the last bastion for the free thinking, none of this surprises me sadly :rant2:
Damned, if you do damned if you don't

kinmel

Politicians never miss an opportunity to demonstrate their incompetence and also their willingness to be bought by special interest groups.
Alan  ‹(•¿•)›

What is the date of the referendum for England to become an independent country ?

somanyholes

lost for words, i can't believe the stupidity of these people,

"[The amendments] pave the way for the monitoring and filtering of the internet by private companies, exceptional courts and Orwellian technical measures," said Christophe Espern, co-founder of French rights group La Quadrature du Net (Squaring the Net) in a statement.

"PRIVATE COMPANIES"

omfg

Gary

Quote from: kinmel on Jul 09, 2008, 11:10:39
Politicians never miss an opportunity to demonstrate their incompetence and also their willingness to be bought by special interest groups.
very soon the use of the internet as it was meant will be illegal and a covert operation on the users behalf to do just that

Gary

Quote from: somanyholes on Jul 09, 2008, 11:14:10
lost for words, i can't believe the stupidity of these people,

"[The amendments] pave the way for the monitoring and filtering of the internet by private companies, exceptional courts and Orwellian technical measures," said Christophe Espern, co-founder of French rights group La Quadrature du Net (Squaring the Net) in a statement.

"PRIVATE COMPANIES"

omfg
You think they will let you go free So, come on we are monitored everywhere else, the net has to be sealed up :'(

somanyholes

The internet

Original idea = Lets share information
Current idea = lets monitor information

its all nuts

Gary

Quote from: somanyholes on Jul 09, 2008, 11:19:51
The internet

Original idea = Lets share information
Current idea = lets monitor information

its all nuts

and very predictable, So anyone who is shocked by this is living in a blinkered world, they probably had to do it as Bush cant use a browser, probably thinks its for gardening like lawn mower

Rik

I agree - effectively, the 'net has allowed us to express our thoughts on our leaders and their policies freely. That's not something any Govt is keen on, and I think we have probably been fortunate to experience the golden age. In future, controlled info, such as VOD, it going to be much more acceptable to the authorities. I could even see the telcos banding together, just like the BPI, to cut Skype etc off.
Rik
--------------------

This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

Rik

Another good reason for a referendum on the EU treaty, So.  >:(
Rik
--------------------

This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

somanyholes

QuoteAnother good reason for a referendum on the EU treaty, So.

couldn't agree more rik

madasahatter

Quote from: somanyholes on Jul 11, 2008, 10:57:53
couldn't agree more rik

Me neither - that's 2 things we've agreed on in the past couple of weeks mate - I'm gonna have to go for a lie down  ;D