Windows Home Server

Started by Ray, Jul 30, 2008, 15:07:26

Previous topic - Next topic

Steve

Quote from: Lance on Feb 08, 2009, 12:19:39
Maybe you need to get a second WHS, Steve, as a test bed for anything new you might implement on the live server?  ;D

Well it does run on virtual box just don't fancy paying for an additional licence which I presume I'd need.
Steve
------------
This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

Steve

From the slim devices forum,the WHS version of squeezecenter will install from within the console like an ordinary addin and can be installed over a previous installation. Admin is via the usual web UI (not console). I think the idea is for use on a headless WHS and remote access is apparently not required to install or run SC as a service.
Steve
------------

Steve

I did install the squeezecenter add in,by the same method as another add in . Seems to work ok, certainly less of a faff than the previous method of installation using RDP. Hopefully they will add the ability to restart the service from the console or the browser gui and on the first installation the browser gui port conflict with PVconnect/Twonky.
Steve
------------

Steve

Another connector update details here
Steve
------------

Ray

Thanks, Steve, update applied.  :thumb:
Ray
--------------------

Steve

Power Pack 2 installed last night with new connector, no issues so far must find out what's in it.
Steve
------------

Steve

Steve
------------

Sebby

Rik

Quote from: stevethegas on Apr 15, 2009, 22:20:21
How to backup a MAC to WHS using superduper

Wasn't that an Abba song? ;D :out:
Rik
--------------------

Sebby

Steve

I have been fanny about this am trying to avoid gardening as long as possible. I have followed a variety of instructions trying to get Apple Time machine to backup to WHS There are quite detailed instructions here which nevertheless failed despite my many attempts however I think I may have succeeded?

I created the WHS share and the sparsebundle as instructed but it always seemed to fail. I initialized a remote connection into the WHS server mac backup share and was able to watch what was going on. Time machine was creating a temporary backup sparse bundle which contained a different computer name and mac address to the sparsebundle I had created. Infuriating as I know I followed the instructions to the letter. So whilst the temporary file was available (time machine deletes it after the failure) I renamed the sparsebundle I had created obviously using the computer name and mac address details from the temporary file name. At present its working over wifi so will take a while. So duty calls :fingers:
Steve
------------

Rik

Aren't computers wonderful. :)
Rik
--------------------

Steve

Infuriating!! the mac address required in the sparsebundle is not the one I am using. I thought backup over wifi use that one no wrong it wants the ethernet one . Never mind several hours to go before I can call it a success.
Steve
------------

Rik

Try not to grind your teeth down to the gums, Steve. ;)
Rik
--------------------

Steve

If this does work reliably from the macbook. I fear another expensive purchase as one of the lads has a pc that needs an upgrade. :eek4:
Steve
------------

Rik

A road well travelled, Steve, you start by aiming to freshen up the paintwork and end up with a new carpet and furniture. :)
Rik
--------------------

Steve

I have always preferred non-drip paints >:D
Steve
------------

Rik

;D

I have always preferred letting someone else do the painting. :)
Rik
--------------------

Sebby

Quote from: stevethegas on Apr 18, 2009, 10:03:24
If this does work reliably from the macbook. I fear another expensive purchase as one of the lads has a pc that needs an upgrade. :eek4:

:hehe:

Steve

Quote from: stevethegas on Apr 18, 2009, 10:03:24

Well it creates a backup using Time machine which you can restore files and folders from but I cannot yet use it for a full restore as the install Mac OS X DVD disk utility will only see a Time capsule networked backup. So work in progress.
Steve
------------

Steve

http://www.wegotserved.com/2009/11/19/windows-home-server-power-pack-3-available-november-24th/

Finally with proper Windows 7 support :thumb:

This also looks interesting http://www.wegotserved.com/2009/11/17/how-to-restore-a-client-computer-without-using-the-client-restore-disk/

You could take the harddrive from the machine and connect it to the WHS, potentially much quicker than via LAN and obviates the need for specific network drivers and the client restore disk
Steve
------------

Ray

thanks, Steve, that looks worth waiting for, good to see Windows 7 will be properly supported.  :thumb:
Ray
--------------------

Glenn

Glenn
--------------------

wecpcs

Quote from: Ray on Nov 20, 2009, 21:57:37
thanks, Steve, that looks worth waiting for, good to see Windows 7 will be properly supported.  :thumb:

Well I'm using Windows 7 64-bit with my own Build Windows Home server and are having no problems whatsoever, so I do not see what they can improve on with this new Power Pack, although I will install it anyway.

Colin

Ray

Quote from: wecpcs on Nov 22, 2009, 16:05:43
Well I'm using Windows 7 64-bit with my own Build Windows Home server and are having no problems whatsoever, so I do not see what they can improve on with this new Power Pack, although I will install it anyway.

Colin
So am I Colin, the only problems I've noticed is I get false warnings from the WHS connector about Anti spyware not switched on and if you map your WHS shares to' My Computer' as drives in Win 7 the capacities are shown incorrectly and it shows the drives as full on the graphics.

There's also another useful addition to WHS in that you will be able to set a PC to hibernate again after a backup is completed in win 7.
Ray
--------------------