Windows Home Server

Started by Ray, Jul 30, 2008, 15:07:26

Previous topic - Next topic

Glenn

Glenn
--------------------

This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

Rik

Quote from: Sheltieuk on Sep 06, 2008, 07:55:24
There's a way to get 10% off this price, Glenn, go to Fsecure uk site and click on the buy now button for the product and when your basket dispays, hit the browser back button, a page will now display offering you 10 % off.

How did you find that out, Ray?
Rik
--------------------

Ray

Quote from: Rik on Sep 06, 2008, 09:27:08
How did you find that out, Ray?

By accident, Rik, I am currently trying Avast on my server but it seems to be throwing up a few false positives and it's not an  AV I've used or know much about. I was looking at trying the F Secure one as I've used it before and found it to be a good AV although it is more expensive than Avast.
Ray
--------------------

Rik

Rik
--------------------

Ray

Ray
--------------------

Simon

You can often find F-Secure products OEM, which are a lot cheaper than the retail licenses, but not sure if the Home Server products are / will be available.  I'm currently waiting for the FS Internet Security 2009 OEM to appear, so that I can renew the license on my laptop.
Simon.
--

Steve

I suppose it may come down in price as it not that competitive compared with the  Avast product at present plus their is still an arguement whether an antivirus product is required for this platform.
Steve
------------

Steve

shush don't tell fujitsu siemens but I have just replaced the cpu in the scaleo 1900 It was an intel celeron M420 (single core 1.6Ghz) an now its a intel dual core E2180 @2.0GHz Slighlty nervous as its passively cooled but temps ok at present and hopefully will reduce as the thermal paste cures. I think power consumption probably wont change much although the E2180 has a higher TDP than the celeron it has advantage of speedstep to reduce power consumption when idle.The celeron always runs at 1.6GHZ :fingers:
Steve
------------

Glenn

Thats the same CPU as my Dell SC440, it works well and runs cool.
Glenn
--------------------

Ray

Have any of you using WHS had any problems with port forwarding on your routers failing, I seem to get it frequently using either Netgear DG834G v3 or a Speedtouch 585 v6. Don't know whether the fault lies with WHS or the routers, if you haven't had this problem which router are you using?
Ray
--------------------

Glenn

It's ssomething I have been meaning to do Ray, but I always seem to forget, it would be handy as I could then connect from work etc.
Glenn
--------------------

Steve

Ray.Portforwarding fails on my setup on a regular basis via UPNP. Manually configure to solve this:
1 Assign static IP to WHS or set router always to give same IP via DHCP

2. Manual forward the ports to that address they are 80,443 and 4125

I have tried 585v6 DG834N all caused problems with WHS and UPNP.If your stuck with how to port forward go to www.portforward.com

You can edit the WHS registry and insert the relevant lines however they do not seem to "stick"

More info in the wegotserved wiki
Steve
------------

Ray

Quote from: stevethegas on Oct 16, 2008, 18:55:48
Ray.Portforwarding fails on my setup on a regular basis via UPNP. Manually configure to solve this:
1 Assign static IP to WHS or set router always to give same IP via DHCP

2. Manual forward the ports to that address they are 80,443 and 4125

I have tried 585v6 DG834N all caused problems with WHS and UPNP.If your stuck with how to port forward go to www.portforward.com

You can edit the WHS registry and insert the relevant lines however they do not seem to "stick"

More info in the wegotserved wiki

Thanks, Steve have now done that and will see how it goes, there also seems to be a problem with updating Windows live custom domains at the moment see wegotserved here:thumb:

I've also been getting this error this afternoon as well.
Ray
--------------------

Steve

Thanks Ray,  wondered what was going on, just rebooted the router which probably wasn't neccessary :)
Steve
------------

Steve

Got fed up with Avast WHS trial ,too much system overhead,sluggish console. It also dumped 6 false positives into the virus chest which then showed up as a file mismatch in a duplicated share. Easily resolved by restoring the share from backup. I presume it quarantined one copy and left the shadow.

Now using  F-secure WHS trial certainly not noticing the performance hit that I was experiencing with Avast.

25% off here
Steve
------------

Ray

Quote from: stevethegas on Oct 29, 2008, 17:13:24
Got fed up with Avast WHS trial ,too much system overhead,sluggish console. It also dumped 6 false positives into the virus chest which then showed up as a file mismatch in a duplicated share. Easily resolved by restoring the share from backup. I presume it quarantined one copy and left the shadow.

Now using  F-secure WHS trial certainly not noticing the performance hit that I was experiencing with Avast.

25% off here

Not had any problems with F-Secure, Steve I've been using it for nearly 2 months now.
Ray
--------------------

Steve

Thanks Ray, Certainly initial impression is favourable,I have done a scan and no resulting disasters. I feel Avast WHS needed a higher spec system than mine and had a "nortonesque" quality.
Steve
------------

Ray

Been having the following problem with backing up my main PC on WHS today, about 10 to 15 secs. after it start a backup the PC Bsod's with the following error message Invalid_Pool_Header. I've tried rebooting the PC and the Server and reinstalling the Connector without success no problem with backing up my other MCs though.

Looking at WGS forum others seem to have this problem but no one seems to have found the cause yet, anyone experienced this problem here?
Ray
--------------------

Glenn

Not had any issues so far Ray. Have you tried running a check disk on the PC?
Glenn
--------------------

Steve

Found this here

managed to find the a solution to the problem elsewhere:

http://forums.seagate.com/stx/board/message?board.id=Discwizard&thread.id=46
http://www.techspot.com/vb/topic94820-5.html

In short, the problem seems to be rooted in MBR corruption caused by certain hard disk cloning software (including Seagate's DiscWizard, and Acronis True Image, which DiscWizard is based on).  The problem effects all backup software that makes use of Windows' Volume Shadow Copy, and thus is not limited to WHS.

To fixed the problem, simply follow these steps:

1. Go to windows Device Manager
2. Click "view" and select "show hidden devices"
3. Scroll down to "storage volumes"
4. Click on the plus to expand.
5. Click on each one listed and right click and uninstall. (you will get a message on some staying to reboot before it takes effect. Select no until you do them all.)
6. Reboot.
7. Wait till windows automatically reinstalls devices. Will prompt to reboot again.
8 Reboot.

Its not a problem I've encountered yet :eek4: but responses to the post were positive.Good luck
Steve
------------

Rik

Rik
--------------------

Ray

:karmic: Thank you Steve you're a star that's solved my problem it is now happily backing up. I had in fact put a larger HD into the MC yesterday and cloned the old disk to the new one using my Acronis TI BartPE rescue disk.  :thumb:
Ray
--------------------

Steve

NP,Thanks, I am sure Ray I have read somewhere that you can also use a client WHS backup for hard drive replacement or upgrade. :)
Steve
------------

Ray

Quote from: stevethegas on Oct 29, 2008, 20:09:12
NP,Thanks, I am sure Ray I have read somewhere that you can also use a client WHS backup for hard drive replacement or upgrade. :)

You can, Steve, but for some reason it didn't want to work on mine as I'd tried that first, but booting from and running the recovery cd it couldn't find my Server and trying to find it using the manual option came up with the infamous "unknown Network error".  ???
Ray
--------------------

Steve

So presumably you could still have a problem should you need to restore again if the whs connector software is not functioning.
Steve
------------