Looks like a BT engineer is needed again

Started by Glenn, Aug 02, 2008, 16:04:22

Previous topic - Next topic

Glenn

In the past 3 days my line that BT 'fixed' 2 months ago has dropped its connection 20 times, the already slow speeds that I have always had is now connecting at 1696kbs down from 2800 - 3200 range.

DSL  Down  Up
Current Rate:  1696 kbs   448 kbs 
Max Rate:  1852 kbs   872 kbs 
Current Connection:
Current Noise Margin:  12.0 dB   19.0 dB 
Current Attenuation:  61.7 dB   31.5 dB 
Current Output Power:  17.7 dBm   11.9 dBm 

The attenuation has jumped by 0.5dB in the last connection

Test1 comprises of Best Effort Test:  -provides background information.
    Your DSL connection rate: 1696 kbps(DOWN-STREAM),  448 kbps(UP-STREAM)
    IP profile for your line is - 1250 kbps
    Actual IP throughput achieved during the test was - 1160 kbps
Glenn
--------------------

This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

Rik

Definitely one for support, Glenn, yet another degrading line, sadly they are becoming all too common. :(
Rik
--------------------

Glenn

Glenn
--------------------

Rik

I've heard from James that they are encountering this problem more and more. BT seem to be letting the lines deteriorate and don't want to do too much about it. Seems wrong to me, but with Ofcom on our side, what else would we expect. :( Fingers crossed they can get you sorted, Glenn.  :fingers:
Rik
--------------------

Tacitus

Quote from: Rik on Aug 02, 2008, 16:08:05
Definitely one for support, Glenn, yet another degrading line, sadly they are becoming all too common. :(

I know I've got one as well :-(

When I did my internal wiring I got the attn down to 54dB.  Now it's back up to a fairly consistent 57dB with nothing internal changed.  12 months ago I regularly synced at 2900 (ish) with a consistent profile of 2500.  Now if I get a regular 2000 profile, I consider myself lucky.  Given the distance I should be getting an attn of some 40/43dB and connect around 4-4500, if they got rid of the intermittent noise  Talking to the script monkeys in Bangalore is to run the risk of an early grave.

If I really vented my feelings on BT, no doubt they would condemn it as 'unsuitable for broadband' and there would be b all I could do about it.

Rik

There's the rub, Tac. If we make too much noise, they can choose, without any controls or checks, to just condemn the line. The only way forward is to have a USO for ADSL, and I can't see that happening. :(
Rik
--------------------

Tacitus

One thing I have wondered is whether some of this is down to the increased use of LLU.  My neighbour is on TalkTalk, and they seem quite prepared to turn up the power, which BT are not.  The possible outcome if the wires are poor, is increased crosstalk and a lowering of the SNR with possible instability forcing down the speed.  The LLU folks get a better service, the BT ones get a worse one. 

If the LLU folks are going outside BT's parameters on transmission power, I think BT would have justifiable cause for complaint, not that OFCOM are likely to do much

Unfortunately the only choice round here on LLU is TT or Orange.  TT's support in Durban weren't too bad, but that may have been pure luck. 

Rik

I think you're right, Tac. The use of higher power and the increasing number of connections means an inevitable increase in crosstalk and its consequent problems. Fibre would, of course, solve the issue.
Rik
--------------------

Sebby

I think this is one for support, Glenn. :(

Glenn

Andrew did a test on the line, which showed problems, so he raised it with BT. They indicated that they have detected tones on the line interfering with the broadband that would be consistent with an unfiltered service on the line such as sky digital, or as the result of a faulty router.

My Sky Plus box isn't plugged into any extensions, so I have replaced the 2700HGV single SSID with the Dual SSID version, so I'll see what that does, if still dropping the connection I'll try in the test socket.
Glenn
--------------------

Rik

It might not even be your Sky box, Glenn. I heard of one case where a box took the entire street out.
Rik
--------------------

Glenn

Quote from: Rik on Aug 04, 2008, 18:07:06
It might not even be your Sky box, Glenn. I heard of one case where a box took the entire street out.

:eek4: :eek4:

The day after my 12 month contract expired, the Sky box was disconnected from the phone line.
Glenn
--------------------

Rik

Rik
--------------------

Sebby

Rik

Unless it's multiroom, Sky don't police it anyway.
Rik
--------------------

Glenn

I need to take the faceplate off when I get home later, this morning (03.00 ish), using a different router it had sync'd  to around 1300kbs
Glenn
--------------------

Rik

You need a new job, Glenn, they're working you too hard!  :o
Rik
--------------------

Glenn

I've been here since 7am  :o but I finish at 3.30  ;D
Glenn
--------------------

Rik

Rik
--------------------

Glenn

Glenn
--------------------

Rik

Ah, just realised I had misread your OP. I thought you weren't getting home till 3am.  :blush:
Rik
--------------------

Inactive

Anything and everything that I post on here is purely my opinion, it ain't going to change the world, you are under no obligation to agree with me, it is purely my expressed opinion.

Lance

Lance
_____

Glenn

I got in today and the line had re-sync'd again to just over 400kbps, I've asked Andrew to get BT to take another look at the problem.
Glenn
--------------------

Sebby

Something's really not right. I definite think it's worth saying about intermittent crosstalk, as they should at least swap you onto another pair.