Billion 8800 firmware update available

Started by Postal, Sep 30, 2021, 15:59:26

Previous topic - Next topic

robinc

If we tell people their brain is an app - they might actually start to use it.

Clive

I have that router so how do I get the update?  :D

Postal

Quote from: Clive on Oct 02, 2021, 11:56:59

Before you start the backup process, log in to your router, got to Configuration > System > Backup/Update and save your current settings.

Then click on the relevant link in my original post, download the file to your hard disk, log in to the router, go to Configuration > System > Firmware Upgrade, browse to your saved file, then click on Upgrade.

I have always seen it recommended as best practice that you upgrade to the Factory Default Settings rather than Current Settings then re-create your own settings or re-load your saved configuration but I have always just upgraded to Current Settings and not had a problem so far (says he touching wood).

The whole process takes about 10 minutes.

robinc

Quote from: Clive on Oct 02, 2021, 11:56:59
Go to https://support.billion.uk.com/index.php?/Knowledgebase/List/Index/106

Select the relevant version for your router model

Download the manual - bottom of the list of updates. The upgrade process is on PDF page 111 (actual page 107)

This will also help http://www.billion.uk.com/esupport/index.php?/Knowledgebase/Article/View/377/106/how-to-perform-firmware-upgrade-on-bipac-78xx-and-88xx--series

Download the relevant firmware file for your version as linked above - and do make sure you get the right one.

Access your router via the web interface - default 192.168.1.254:8888 login as provided by idnet.

CHECK YOUR CURRENT FIRMWARE VERSION!!! Status>Summary

The newer firmware is not compatible with older settings config files so beware the temptation to reload saved settings the first time you do this. I was on 2.52.d1 and those settings could not be re-used. Now on 2.52.d16 which would be re-usable.

In the end I took screenshots of the Configuration Pages to make sure I had the DNS, DHCP and NTP settings. After applying the upgrade rebooted with default and just entered the login and aforementioned - rebooted it and all was well.

Current uptime since update - mid May!
If we tell people their brain is an app - they might actually start to use it.

Clive

You know what?  My favourite saying is "if it ain't broke, don't fix it."  :whistle:  Thanks both for the clarification. 

Postal

Quote from: Clive on Oct 03, 2021, 17:18:46
You know what?  My favourite saying is "if it ain't broke, don't fix it."  :whistle:  Thanks both for the clarification.

If I'd known that was your default position I wouldn't have wasted my time writing things up for you.  Thanks for the heads up for when the next question comes along.

Clive

Many apologies if I caused offence but it seems a bit too complicated for for me to handle.  On the other hand, when my son comes home at half term with the grandchildren he will probably cope with it.  So your effort is very much appreciated.

nowster

The update's description suggests that it's a cosmetic fix only, so not an urgent update.

Postal

Quote from: Clive on Oct 04, 2021, 13:53:52
Many apologies if I caused offence but it seems a bit too complicated for for me to handle.  On the other hand, when my son comes home at half term with the grandchildren he will probably cope with it.  So your effort is very much appreciated.

No offence taken.  However, it is not a complicated process so I'm sure you wouldn't have any problems in handling it.  Writing it up (particularly to the level of robinc's posting) takes far more time and effort than actually doing it.

Postal

Quote from: nowster on Oct 05, 2021, 10:49:17
The update's description suggests that it's a cosmetic fix only, so not an urgent update.

Without knowing details of the existing firmware on someone's router, no way of knowing whether there have been any critical updates or security fixes since it was last updated.  Just because the latest update seems to be cosmetic only doesn't mean that a router is not in need of an urgent update.