Networking solution help

Started by zappaDPJ, Jun 21, 2024, 13:55:14

Previous topic - Next topic

zappaDPJ

I'm in the process of converting an area of my property into a professional grade recording studio. This means building rooms within rooms to isolate all the sound (up to 120 dB) produced in the studio. It also means I've created a WiFi dead zone.

As we are approaching the cabling stage I need to get the Internet and WiFi into the studio and it needs to be robust. My current Internet (FTTP) comes into the house a fair distance away from the studio area.

I'm really just wondering if anyone has ever attempted to daisy chain routers and if this is the best solution. The distance from my current router to the studio is within the 100 meter standard for Cat6.
zap
--------------------

This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

Bill

I've never tried daisy-chaining routers, only switches (with no issues), but can't you do what you want by running ethernet to the studio into a switch, then hanging a wireless access point on to it?

Bear in mind that my understanding of these things is limited- my LAN works so I don't try to fix it  ;)
Bill
BQMs-  IPv4  IPv6

zappaDPJ

Quote from: Bill on Jun 21, 2024, 15:30:05but can't you do what you want by running ethernet to the studio into a switch, then hanging a wireless access point on to it?

I don't know but I'll certainly look into it. Thanks for the suggestion :)
zap
--------------------

robinc

Quote from: Bill on Jun 21, 2024, 15:30:05but can't you do what you want by running ethernet to the studio into a switch, then hanging a wireless access point on to it?
Absolutely and definitely the only way to go.
CAT 6a will give you 10Gbps @ 500MHz over the same distance.
Get Duct Grade cable, avoid tight/right angle bends by going through loft/ceiling voids if possible and unless you have the kit/skills get someone who knows what they're doing to fit the RJ45 connectors.
If we tell people their brain is an app - they might actually start to use it.

Bill

Quote from: robinc on Jun 22, 2024, 06:24:37Absolutely and definitely the only way to go.
Thanks for the emphatic endorsement- I've never used a WAP so wasn't 100% sure my answer was sensible :D

A question if I may- what does "10Gbps @ 500MHz" mean? The 10Gps is obvious, but I don't see the relevance of 500MHz ???
Bill
BQMs-  IPv4  IPv6

talos

Ive just installed a mesh wifi system  that seems to do what you want, gives me a full signal in every room
               I tried daisy chaining routers and it was useless .

Simon

Quote from: talos on Jun 22, 2024, 10:13:46Ive just installed a mesh wifi system  that seems to do what you want, gives me a full signal in every room
               I tried daisy chaining routers and it was useless .

I have a Mesh system as well.  The Powerline versions might work, but they all need to be on the same electrical circuit.  Not sure how effective the WiFi based systems would be if there's a dead zone in the studio.  Guess it depends what's blocking the signal?
Simon.
--

Bill

I don't know much about Mesh systems, but don't they rely on the devices having at least some degree of wireless contact with each other?

As I understood the OP, the studio isn't so much a dead zone as simply out of range of the router.
Bill
BQMs-  IPv4  IPv6

Simon

Quote from: Bill on Jun 22, 2024, 12:27:50I don't know much about Mesh systems, but don't they rely on the devices having at least some degree of wireless contact with each other?

Indeed, so you have one Mesh device connected to the router.  The second one is, say, in the middle of the house and picks up the first one, which then boosts the signal to the third Mesh device, which could be upstairs, theoretically spreading the WiFi signal all around the property. 

If there is soundproofing in the studio environment, that would presumably present an additional challenge for any Wi-Fi signal to pass through.
Simon.
--

zappaDPJ

There is a range issue but in addition as soon as I enter the main studio area I lose WiFi and mobile signal. It's because the entire area including the floors and ceilings have been soundproofed with multiple layers of various materials.

The mains into the area is totally isolated from the rest of the house and runs though a power conditioner so I don't think a mesh system would work but thanks for the suggestion.

I have all the tools needed to make Cat 6a cables and there's a fairly easy run from my router taking an external route into the control room area of the studio and then into a switch.

Would I then be able to take a cable from the switch into the live room (via a signal pass-though bay) and plug in a wired WiFi extender? In addition is it possible to plug a second WiFi extender directly into the switch so I'd have an extender in both areas?
zap
--------------------

Bill

That's some serious isolation you're installing, sounds halfway to a TEMPEST-proofed job :D

I didn't realise there were two areas involved... I think that because of the degree of isolation I'd be inclined to go for a full monty approach- cable to Area-1 into a switch, WAP into one port. Cable from a second port to a switch in Area-2, another WAP. Then you're confident of good wireless signal in both areas regardless of what the sound insulation might do to it, and you can use wifi calling on the mobile in both areas.

Not sure about running 2 WAPs on one LAN potentially within range of each other, but I'd think that running one on 2.4Gig and the other on 5Gig would be OK... someone else might like to comment.

Pick switches with enough ports to suit anticipated requirements plus a bit more, they're not expensive.
Bill
BQMs-  IPv4  IPv6

nowster

You're best putting in CAT5a or better and putting an Access Point in the room, wired back to an Ethernet port on the router.

Powerline is very variable in reliability. WiFi mesh extenders only work if there's a WiFi signal for it to relay.

The AP doesn't have to be expensive. You could use one of the £45 GL.iNet travel routers in AP mode. The base "Opal" model is good up to about 300Mbps on the 5GHz band and can also act as a three port network switch. (This is what I've used at my parents.)

zappaDPJ

Thanks, I really appreciate all the help I'm getting with this. I'm fine with the audio side of things but I've always had a bit of lazy mind when it comes to networking and company subcontracted to do all my cabling appears to have the same mind set.
zap
--------------------

robinc

Quote from: Bill on Jun 22, 2024, 08:14:57Thanks for the emphatic endorsement- I've never used a WAP so wasn't 100% sure my answer was sensible :D

A question if I may- what does "10Gbps @ 500MHz" mean? The 10Gps is obvious, but I don't see the relevance of 500MHz ???
The transmission frequency of 500MHz is important if you need to work over long distances. CAT 6 will give you 10Gbps over 150 ft whereas CAT 6a with double the transmission frequency will give you the same rate up to 300 ft (slightly rounded numbers).  I thought it worth a mention.  :) 6a is also far more robust at handling cross talk but that is going to be unlikely inn this scenario.
If we tell people their brain is an app - they might actually start to use it.

Bill

Quote from: robinc on Jun 23, 2024, 06:25:42The transmission frequency of 500MHz is important if you need to work over long distances. CAT 6 will give you 10Gbps over 150 ft whereas CAT 6a with double the transmission frequency will give you the same rate up to 300 ft (slightly rounded numbers).  I thought it worth a mention.  :) 6a is also far more robust at handling cross talk but that is going to be unlikely inn this scenario.
That's a new one on me, thanks :thumb:

I don't think it's ever likely to be relevant to anything I do, but you can never tell- new knowledge seldom comes amiss  :)
Bill
BQMs-  IPv4  IPv6

nowster

Higher spec Ethernet cables are a waste of money if it's very unlikely you'll go over 1Gbps.

The main difference between the various CAT ratings is the number of twists per inch in each differential pair (and hence how much copper is used).

2.5Gbps Ethernet is starting to be more common, but 10Gbps is currently quite power hungry.

On the other hand, the advantage of installing higher rated cabling is that you don't have to replace it if you want to upgrade later... but by that point you might be wanting to replace it with fibre optic instead.

doc_holiday

Quote from: zappaDPJ on Jun 21, 2024, 13:55:14I'm in the process of converting an area of my property into a professional grade recording studio. This means building rooms within rooms to isolate all the sound (up to 120 dB) produced in the studio. It also means I've created a WiFi dead zone.

As we are approaching the cabling stage I need to get the Internet and WiFi into the studio and it needs to be robust. My current Internet (FTTP) comes into the house a fair distance away from the studio area.

I'm really just wondering if anyone has ever attempted to daisy chain routers and if this is the best solution. The distance from my current router to the studio is within the 100 meter standard for Cat6.

I am a big fan of Ubiquiti products. I most recently deployed this as a router connected to FTTC, but could easily be connected to FTTP.

https://uk.store.ui.com/uk/en/collections/cloud-gateway-ultra/products/ucg-ultra

Then with wired backhauls with CAT 6, deploying Wireless Access Points that are commonly managed. This allows you to deal with annexes, dead spots, etc. with the same SSID, password, etc. under a common management console.

It's a bit pricier to deploy this kit, but it is prosumer and in my experience, rock solid.

zappaDPJ

Thanks for the recommendation, I'll take a look. It's not a manufacturer I'm familiar with but the prices are within my budget.
zap
--------------------

doc_holiday

The LazyAdmin in the Netherlands just did a review on that particular router.

https://lazyadmin.nl/network/unifi-cloud-gateway-ultra/

I have three access points in my home network to cover our home office out back and dead spots in our house.  The Unifi stuff is great and I have used it for about 10 years now.

doc_holiday

McCann Tech is also a treasure trove of Ubiquiti Unifi information...

https://evanmccann.net/blog/category/Ubiquiti

zappaDPJ

Scan have a large selection of their products and it does seem a good solution for me so thanks again for your help.
zap
--------------------