New UBOSS VOIP service in addition to CENTREX

Started by goldberg, Nov 20, 2023, 10:23:51

Previous topic - Next topic

goldberg

Having recently starting using IDNet's Centrex service with a Yealink W73P basestation DECT system, I've just notice on the www.idnet.com portal that IDNet is now offering a lower-cost VOIP contract:  'UBOSS Basic Phone Service', that allows the use of various VOIP hardware, including:

-  Grandstream HT801 ATA
- Cisco SPA191 ATA
- Yealink W73P DECT basestation and handset
- and they are also trialling a TP-Link VX230v AX1800 WiFi6 Modem/Router (broadband and phone router)

Good to see IDNet's range of VOIP offerings is expanding.

Simon

Just in time!  I'm just considering whether to renew my contract in January.

Though, I still don't see why I can't retain my current Gigaset DECT phone.
Simon.
--
This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

stan

I was grateful to have received a note on my phone letting me know about the new post on here. I can see the Idnet addition to their "landline" options having been kindly pointed to it by goldberg. It wasn't there last time I looked, but that was a month or so ago.

It's a bit of a shame Idnet haven't contacted customers telling them about it though.  I thought I was subscribed to the newsletter and have re-subscribed in case I wasn't.

I'm thinking that this latest, monthly contract, introduction is due to the Centrex plan (which has a 24 month contract attached) being too pricey?

The new offering is still a good bit dearer than the Andrews and Arnold "landline" option at less than £1.50 a month and calls at 1.5 pence per minute and no connection fee and the last time I looked the monthly A&A broadband charges were broadly in line with Idnet. Neither being what you'd call "cheap" but both having UK customer service and the ability to speak to a real person rather than the alternative arrangements with most of the big boys.

I couldn't see the bit that said you couldn't use your existing DECT phone, Simon.  Show me if you will. ..... the Andrews and Arnold system (which offers a Technicolour router) apparently allows the use of two 'old type' connections ( I think they're called RJ11 ? ) into the back of the router (via the two green FXS ports) and they said you can use the old type DECT cordless phone as well as a fixed desk type, corded, phone at the same time, using both green ports.

Had you pursued your move away from Idnet, Simon, where might you have gone?

Simon

I'm still here, Stan.  I'm paid up until the end of January so I will look at options after Christmas.  I may just upgrade the broadband and leave the old phone service as it is for now.
Simon.
--

stan

Understood, Simon.

Had you looked at Andrews and Arnold (A&A ) to see how they compared?

Simon

I had a quick glance at A&A, but I think I need to look more closely to actually work out their prices, which don't seem too obvious on the website. 
Simon.
--

Simon

What's the actually difference between UBOSS and Centrix?
Simon.
--

stan

The prices are there but it's quite a comprehensive site with lots of stuff for the more "techie" user (which I am definitely not) .... but I've rang a couple of times, both the sales number and the technical number and the responses have been reassuring in the extreme.  The 115mb option was £37 a month ... it's definite listed, it's called HOME 1 then FTTP OPENREACH then go down to the list and see the 115/20 entry at the top ... it's £37 for a (huge) one TB allowance. the phone service is below that. There are installation charges and a fee to port your landline over to them.

It doesn't make it all that clear (to me at least) what the difference between Centrx and UBOSS is but Centrex calls are cheaper per minute than UBOSS and UBOSS charges an extra £2 a month for answerphone/voicemail.  There must be other differences. Centrex is too expensive in my opinion and if you include the calls and the voicemail UBOSS isn't cheap at £11 a month either. Whether the inclusive calls option is worthwhile obviously depends how many outgoing calls you make in a month.

I don't know anyone who uses Idnet or Andrtews and Arnold ... they all use the bigger companies .... but the only reason I stick with the smaller concerns is the ability to speak to someone.  I don't have much confidence in my abilities to solve problems.

nowster

Surprised they're not allowing BYOD SIP connections at that price. The Sipura/Cisco ATA is a good price (and has two FXS sockets) but the Grandstream one is about £20 above what you can buy it for elsewhere.

The requirement would be for some sort of TLS for the SIP control link, and some sort of encryption on the RTP/RTCP packets (carrying the voice).

Simon

Quote from: nowster on Nov 20, 2023, 14:09:22
Surprised they're not allowing BYOD SIP connections at that price. The Sipura/Cisco ATA is a good price (and has two FXS sockets) but the Grandstream one is about £20 above what you can buy it for elsewhere.

The requirement would be for some sort of TLS for the SIP control link, and some sort of encryption on the RTP/RTCP packets (carrying the voice).

And, in English...?   :red:
Simon.
--

Simon

I'm aware that we now have several threads running with the same topic.  I'll try and do a merge at some point.

I've just worked out that if I take the cheapest FTTP option and UBOSS with IDNet, including calls (which includes calls to mobiles which my current package doesn't), the difference in cost to what I paid last year would be negligible, and certainly not worth the potential hassle and drama of migrating. 
Simon.
--

peasblossom

This UBOSS deal looks pretty good, but I'm rather put off by the cost of the equipment that goes with it.

Simon

Quote from: peasblossom on Nov 20, 2023, 15:29:15
This UBOSS deal looks pretty good, but I'm rather put off by the cost of the equipment that goes with it.

This is a bit of a bugbear for me.  They're pushing new equipment and giving the impression that the service won't work without purchasing their hardware - which is a significant additional expense.  I have a perfectly adequate DECT phone, and a router with a 1Gb port which I think would be compatible.  So, why should I buy new equipment?
Simon.
--

peasblossom

Exactly. I would stick with IDNet for fibre/digital voice in the future if they changed their stance on this, or made it possible to switch to it without incurring all those additional costs. The router I have was from IDNet too so I'd really hope that was compatible. It's a real shame.

Simon

Have you actually asked them about using your existing hardware?  I really don't think it can be compulsory to buy new equipment to carry on using their service. 
Simon.
--

nowster

Ah, but does your router have a telephone handset port?

peasblossom

Quote from: Simon on Nov 21, 2023, 18:48:14
Have you actually asked them about using your existing hardware?  I really don't think it can be compulsory to buy new equipment to carry on using their service. 
No I haven't. But now you suggest it, I think I will.

Simon

Quote from: nowster on Nov 21, 2023, 19:19:07
Ah, but does your router have a telephone handset port?

Don't think so.  But didn't I read somewhere that you can get an adapter of some kind to use a DECT phone over VoIP?
Simon.
--

Postal

Quote from: Simon on Nov 21, 2023, 20:36:18
Don't think so.  But didn't I read somewhere that you can get an adapter of some kind to use a DECT phone over VoIP?

Like on this page: https://www.amazon.co.uk/voip-ata/s?k=voip+ata.

The supply of the kit probably depends on whether you are using a ISP provided router which is still their property (so it will be up to them to keep you connected) or you used your own router when you signed up (in which case likely down to you to provide any extra kit required even if you bought the original router from the ISP).

Simon

Simon.
--

peasblossom

Quote from: peasblossom on Nov 21, 2023, 20:29:11
No I haven't. But now you suggest it, I think I will.

And here's what they say.

"If you want to use your own phone then you will only need to purchase an adaptor.
You shouldn't need to purchase a new router."

An adapter is £66 iirc.

Simon

I think that makes it a less bitter pill to swallow.   
Simon.
--

stan

Hello again fellas.

After continued delays in doing anything I'm getting closer to placing an order for FTTP.

Apologies if any of the following has been said before further up.

There remains (for me) the choice of moving to Andrews and Arnold and going for their basic FTTP for £37 and having their Technicolour router .  I believe you could keep your own analogue old style phone and plug it straight in to the back of that router in order to use their (very reasonably priced) VOIP phone service ... but I could be wrong ... I'm just recalling what they told me many months ago.

The other option for me would be to stay with Idnet and go for their £36 a month (inc VAT) FTTP 150 service (it's £36 if you have a 12 month plan or £45 if monthly)  and to go for their UBOSS basic VOIP phone plan (either with or without the calls inclusive. option)

When I called I spoke to two different people ... one recommended the TP Link VX230 router/modem and the other recommended the TP Link HX220 router (on the basis that I don't need a modem with FTTP).  I was slightly disappointed to get two differing opinions there, but hey ho.

It was pretty definite, however, that I need an ATA in order to connect my two old analogue phones (one a very conventional desk/loudspeaker type phone and the other an old DECT BT cordless arrangement with a couple of extension cordless phones around the house) ... and the ATAs that Idnet offer would be either the Grandstream or the CIsco - and as I want to plug two phones into it I'd need the (more expensive) Cisco ATA. Both the ATA and the router would be configured by Idnet before they post them out to me.

It was emphasised that it would be best to order the FTTP and get it working .... THEN...  request porting of my landline over to VOIP using the existing landline number.

None of this comes remotely naturally to me and I'm not looking forward to it.  I'm very open to the thoughts of others if it's considered I'm acting unwisely here.

Ta.

Simon

I'm keeping my analogue phone line for now, until the FTTP is up and running, which at the moment is in the lap of the Openreach gods. 

I've ordered the ASUS RT-AX59U router from IDNet, which I am under the impression my Siemens Gigaset DECT phone will connect to directly, but I can't say this with any certainty.
Simon.
--

peasblossom

So, what order to do things. I'd like to swap to A+A for my phone line but they can't take it over till I have full fibre broadband. Do I deal with that first then the phone? I don't want to lose my landline number.